+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why aren't these compressors popular ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I wonder what triggers the power on and off the the wound coil?
    If you're powering it from a standard AC power source you don't need any type of controller, it will run at 60 cycles per second, just like the AC frequency.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Why don't solenoid valves do that then? Aren't they pretty much the same thing except out in the open?

Wait a minute: say the piston stroke was just 1" long. That would have the piston covering over 430,000 inches every hour. Which is over 80 MPH. <g>

Are you sure that's the operating speed on 60 cycle power supply?

PHM
    ------

coils
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    If you're powering it from a standard AC power source you don't need any type of controller, it will run at 60 cycles per second, just like the AC frequency.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Nope! I'm wrong - it's not even 7 mph. I forgot the 12 to get down to feets.

Sorry about that. <g>
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    The company claims that they last for decades - with some still running since the 1960's.

Where did you get the information that they only last a few months?

PHM
    ------
    Bought the norcold . POS.

Post Likes
    I thought this looked cool, haven't seen one in real life yet...
    www.turbocor.com

Post Likes
    They sound expensive.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by engineerdave View Post
    I thought this looked cool, haven't seen one in real life yet...
    www.turbocor.com
    I went to a training seminar on those a couple years ago. Got to play with one that was cut open so we could spin the compressor by hand... Then I never really had to work on one, though I've seen them in operation. They're extremely quiet. You hear a little compressor whine and the refrigerant rushing through the system. They make for very quiet mechanical rooms.

They're definitely expensive, but they're also extremely energy efficient. It's a tough call for a lot of companies between a turbocor compressor and a screw. Screws are cheaper, turbocors are more efficient. If the turbocors were a little cheaper I think we'd see a lot more of them out there. I wish there were more of them out there. They sure are easy to be around while in operation.

Post Likes
    Or more probable is Engel can't find a company willing to make them since their engineers didn't design it.

Post Likes
    I had 2 of these swing motors on a Norcold fridge in my boat. First one lasted 15 yrs other 20 yrs. It was cheaper to buy a new fridge then replace compressors.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in