Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 29

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    12,248

    Why aren't these compressors popular ?

    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,386
    Wow, I never knew they made those for refrigeration use. There's a company that makes low psi air compressors that work the same way and their reliability is light years ahead of the conventional piston compressors. A store I work for has had them on the air supplies for lobster tanks for 15 years now with no maintenance or failures. All the other stores are using more expensive conventional piston compressors that need to be replaced every 5 years and use almost 5 times more power.


    Seems like a no brainer for refrigeration use.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Keokuk, IA
    Posts
    5,520
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    Wow, I never knew they made those for refrigeration use. There's a company that makes low psi air compressors that work the same way and their reliability is light years ahead of the conventional piston compressors. A store I work for has had them on the air supplies for lobster tanks for 15 years now with no maintenance or failures. All the other stores are using more expensive conventional piston compressors that need to be replaced every 5 years and use almost 5 times more power.


    Seems like a no brainer for refrigeration use.
    All aquarium air pumps since ohhh... 30 years ago when I started the hobby, used simple coils to move a diaphram "piston". I suspect it cycled at 60 Hz. SOme might have used 2 diaphrams, on on each end of the stroke.

    Really, from that standpoint, the design is short sighted. It might as well have 2 cylinders, one at each end and just use a reed valve or similar as a check valve.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,386
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post

    All aquarium air pumps since ohhh... 30 years ago when I started the hobby, used simple coils to move a diaphram "piston". I suspect it cycled at 60 Hz. SOme might have used 2 diaphrams, on on each end of the stroke.
    The ones they had in these lobster tanks were huge compared to your standard aquarium pump. 3/4" air outlet and capable of about 30 PSI. When I looked them up on the Internet they showed how it worked and it was a Teflon coated floating piston the slid back and forth in a tube. Very cool design. Apparently most of these style pumps are used as septic tank aerators.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Morgan Hill Ca.
    Posts
    1,219
    Because they're teeny tiny........


    GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    12,248
    How teeny tiny are they? Any word on the pumping capacity in BTU's?

    PHM
    ------




    Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    Because they're teeny tiny........


    GT
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Morgan Hill Ca.
    Posts
    1,219
    Small enough to be powered by a 12VDC or 24VDC power source... Can't even venture a guess, but suspect it's under 2000 BTU's

    GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    12,248
    That answer doesn't mean shet. The electric starter motors that spin my 440 ci diesels are 12 volts too. And they are SAH not Small or low capacity. <g>

    I guess I'll see if there is a way to contact Engel and ask them.

    PHM
    -------



    Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    Small enough to be powered by a 12VDC or 24VDC power source... Can't even venture a guess, but suspect it's under 2000 BTU's

    GT
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Morgan Hill Ca.
    Posts
    1,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    That answer doesn't mean shet. The electric starter motors that spin my 440 ci diesels are 12 volts too. And they are SAH not Small or low capacity. <g>

    I guess I'll see if there is a way to contact Engel and ask them.

    PHM
    -------
    and how many HOURS are on that starter? High torque items like a start only run a few seconds at a time, refrigeration compressors on the other hand, well, the opposite.

    Be sure to update us on the max capacity. I does not impress me too much personally, but then again, who am I?

    GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    12,248
    Isn't that a straw-man argument you are making? <g>

    The compressors have one moving part. <g>

    The "hours on the starter" has nothing to do with this discussion - which was about why the compressors are not commonly used. You suggested that it was due to them operating on a low voltage, such as 12 or 24 and so having low capacity. "Teeny-tiny" was the descriptive phrase. The reliability was never an issue.

    PHM
    ------



    Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    and how many HOURS are on that starter? High torque items like a start only run a few seconds at a time, refrigeration compressors on the other hand, well, the opposite.

    Be sure to update us on the max capacity. I does not impress me too much personally, but then again, who am I?

    GT
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Morgan Hill Ca.
    Posts
    1,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Isn't that a straw-man argument you are making? <g>

    The compressors have one moving part. <g>

    The "hours on the starter" has nothing to do with this discussion - which was about why the compressors are not commonly used. You suggested that it was due to them operating on a low voltage, such as 12 or 24 and so having low capacity. "Teeny-tiny" was the descriptive phrase. The reliability was never an issue.

    PHM
    ------

    PHM, I believe you are simply misunderstanding where I was coming from.

    Being as the starter on your truck has a duty cycle of like .001%, it draws an incredible amount of amperage (read watts) for an extremely short (comparatively) amount of time.

    A refrigeration compressor on the other hand has a duty cycle of say 90% if not 100%, which means it would have to draw very little current (again watts). So using this logic, it would have to have a relativity low HP, or small capacity, this compressor seems to have been developed specifically for portable refrigeration equipment. The company seems to be an automotive generator manufacturer.

    Not trying to start a major debate, just wanted to make sure my point was clear.

    GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Keokuk, IA
    Posts
    5,520
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    Small enough to be powered by a 12VDC or 24VDC power source... Can't even venture a guess, but suspect it's under 2000 BTU's

    GT

    At 12VDC< 100 Amps it's unreasonable for a constant load, with a peak load under 200 Amps with size 0 cables. So that's puts you at 1200Watts, or with a COP or 3, that's as much as 12,000 BTU's. BUt I think you'll be limited there. I think the small AC units that companies like Webasto make for sleeps babs are in the range of 6000-12000 BTU's.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,065
    If it can't chill my beers faster than I can drink them, I want no part of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event