Time for a new thermostat?

Current thermostat is a White-Rodgers 1F94-71

New to us house. Heat pump is old..dont remember exact age. Its a Trane 1.5 tonne

We had high heat bills last winter, but we think the emergency heat (or AUX) came and we didnt really know. We live a little north of Dayton.

The current issue is the AUX light comes on, which is the emergency heat strips in the ex changer. The temp in the house was 62, I had the hold heat temp at 68. After a few minutes, the heat strips kicked on (could tell by the aux light and the smell.)

So I read the manual..and wow, a bit hard to understand. So I start playing with settings, the "heat anticipation" level in particular. I move it from a factory setting of 4 to 18 and I think that stopped the AUX heat from coming on.

My questions, from reading the manual again, as I understand it, the heat anticipation setting should not have affected the system the way it did. There is not a clear explination in the manual of how to control when the AUX or the Emergency heating kicks in. Seems silly that the house at 62 degrees trying to get to 68 should require the AUX heat to kick on.

So, I want to buy a new thermostat..particularly a more simple one.

Any recommendations?

Are you trying to raise the temp from 62 to 68 without the aux heat coming on?
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Yes. Is that an improper thing?

Yes. To do that you would need a stat with an outdoor sensor and lock out the aux heat except in particularly cold weather.

With a heat pump, set it and forget it.

I guess I am failing to see why the aux heat should have to kick on.

I was not trying to be lengthy in my original post, but one of the other items that happened was that when it did warm up to 68 inside the house, I moved the temp setting to 70, to make the heat pump come on. After running a bit, the AUX would come on. During this period is when I played with the heating anticipation setting.

If this is normal, then what good is a heat pump if the aux heating strips need to come on all the time?

Most stats will bring aux heat on if set temp is 2-3 degrees above room temp bc it thinks the heat pump can't keep up with temp due to lost capacity from low outdoor temps. Like Baldie said if you don't want strips on you need an outdoor stat to hold off strips unless outdoor temp is below a certain temp. Heat pumps aren't good for setbacks while out of the house for this reason, just leave it on the same temp all the time

I think on that stat anytime the room temp is 2 degrees or more below set temp, teh aux heat will come on. You should not use set back when you have a heat pump with electric aux heat.

As said earlier, you can use a stat with an outdoor sensor and lock out the aux heat until the outdoor temp is below lockout. But once below lock out, it will still bring on the aux heat.

With heat pumps, its better to e the stat at one temp and leave it there.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Gentlemen,

Thank you for taking the time to explain it a bit more...I will set it and forget it.

Your welcome.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I would also put the heat anticipator setting back where you first found it if you intend to keep this thermostat.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Some of the higher end stats have an adjustment to determine when to allow the aux heat to kick on. Some are time, some are temperature based.