Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turbocor Problems

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausccn View Post
    A 23XRV will wip its arse and it's been tryed and testered, I have never seen a chiller of any kind that will unload to meet the output of the cooling tower and not drop out on high HP.

Why didn't the big name players take up the Turbocor compressor. There must be method in their madness!!!!!!
    I think the heat down under is getting to you.

Post Likes
    what is an arse?
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    Sorry...fanny to you guys....

Post Likes

So Far So Good

We have just installed a SMARDT chiller with dual turbocor compressors. The contol logic for the chiller is Kilteck. Our chiller is water cooled. It has been running for about 6 months with not one problem. Hope to continue with the good luck. I believe turbocor is the future of our industry. The DB (noise rating) in our machine room is unbelievablely quiet compared to our old york centrifugal chiller. I hope these gain popularity in our trade. We installed a honeywell Volcum refigerant monitor next to the new chiller to sense leaks if or when they occur. Since no oil is in the system it will be a little harder to leak check. Like any new technology bugs will have to be worked out and improvements will be made. I will post pictures of our install next week. Thanks Nathan, Sacramento California

Post Likes

Turborcor compressors

Yes, Turborcors do have a few issues, but the company I work for has put in more Turborcors than any company in the country. Most problems are caused due to the Kiltech control not being set-up properly. We have since converted to the new Flexsys panels and have much better control over the overall system.

Post Likes

hvac supervisor in South Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by feelthejoe View Post
    our company just installed a new Turbocor chiller at a contract and i believe it is the biggest piece of **** out there. it came with no holding charge and we have found over 15 leaks on it. we also have another contract with retrofits and have constant compressor problems and they are installed correctly and evacuated properly before installation.
    I spent two months evaluating three or four competing brands sold in SC. I, along with other managers at our facility visited 4 -5 sites sites looking at different "brands": I also saw a multistack turbocore and smardt turbocore at different locations in Charlotte, NC, and talked to an hvac supervisor in charge at The Florence detention center using 1 1/2 year old turbocore.

Most had NO serious problems. At one site problems were fixed with software upgrades. Another site had "dirty" water towers and had industrial grade water prefilters added after the installation. One had to tighten a pressure gauge fitting to stop a leak.

Another had a welder fasten a ground rod in the wrong place and take out the electronics.

Our group saw nothing that scared us about the turbocores. The Austrailians are using them. They are being installed across the country. One of the ones in Charlotte was manufactured in Montreal Canada.

We will install 750 tons of cooling at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine starting this winter after the dust settles from the bidding, and the winner is announced. We will be using factory authorized installers.

Post Likes
    Any follow up to this post? Had a prospect ask me to quote retro fitting an old mcquay centr chiller to 3 turbo cores....I said no way! not us....... I would rather see you invest in a new chiller or repair the existing one before investing that much on a retro fit. Heard that poor power can also scramble these manchines.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Manapat View Post
    I spent two months evaluating three or four competing brands sold in SC. I, along with other managers at our facility visited 4 -5 sites sites looking at different "brands": I also saw a multistack turbocore and smardt turbocore at different locations in Charlotte, NC, and talked to an hvac supervisor in charge at The Florence detention center using 1 1/2 year old turbocore.

Most had NO serious problems. At one site problems were fixed with software upgrades. Another site had "dirty" water towers and had industrial grade water prefilters added after the installation. One had to tighten a pressure gauge fitting to stop a leak.

Another had a welder fasten a ground rod in the wrong place and take out the electronics.

Our group saw nothing that scared us about the turbocores. The Austrailians are using them. They are being installed across the country. One of the ones in Charlotte was manufactured in Montreal Canada.

We will install 750 tons of cooling at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine starting this winter after the dust settles from the bidding, and the winner is announced. We will be using factory authorized installers.
    “The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” – Henry David Thoreau

It's sad that we have become so accustomed to bad service that we're shocked when we get good service.
    Neil Cavuto

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in