Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: purge

Quote Originally Posted by automig View Post
    a purge on an absorption chiller is just a good sized vacuum pump.

a purge on a low pressure chiller separates out noncondensibles by sucking gas off the top of the condenser and running it through a little refrigeration loop. condensed refrigerant gets returned, anything that doesn't condense gets pumped out of the top of a seperator tank by a little vaccum pump.

why are you asking?
    I'm just guessin', here - 'cause he wants to know?

Quote Originally Posted by txhvac View Post
    I've got several 19 D's with Redi Purges. At least your not running the old Skyguard or Carolina 2 stage purges, or those Enviropurges by Reftec. Seen the new gravity flow units, by Redi Controls? Supposedly a direct replacement for the purifier we'll see....
    Never even heard of any of that stuff, tx. I've got a couple of Redi-Purges on a couple of mid-80s YTs that are similar to the Purifier purge, only the controls suck and they draw from the condenser and drain to the evaporator.
    The key to happiness is lower expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    The York Turboguard purge doesn't use a refrigeration circuit. It uses oil pressure, a small pump, some solenoid valves, and the differential refrigerant pressure created by the chiller when it's running to separate non-condensables from the refrigerant.
    It most certainly has a refrigeration circuit. Condensed liquid refrigerant is fed through an orifice into a coiling coil in the purge drum. Just like any other purge that's how the sample gas (off the condenser) is condensed into liquid refrigerant and returned to the system.

Sorry, Rob, didn't see your clarification. (I wish there was a way one could delete their own posts!)

thx fellas ., this helps explain the question i was asking.,

knew york::: i agree with you about deleteing ones own post.
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

well, if he's cheating on a test my answer's the most useful.

if he's standing in front of a turboguard with a crescent wrench, the customer is royally screwed.

well, if he's cheating on a test my answer's the most useful.

if he's standing in front of a turboguard with a crescent wrench, the customer is royally screwed.
    If he's standing in front of a Turboguard with a crescent wrench or taking a test on a Turboguard and he's using your post to get pointed in the right direction then I have to say that he and the customer are screwed. A Turboguard doesn't have a vacuum pump on it.

And saying that an absorption purge is nothing but a vacuum pump is quite a bit oversimplified no matter how you look at it.

The Prevent purge does indeed prevent closing the stratospheric ozone hole.

Quote Originally Posted by CCSPIERCE View Post
    The Prevent purge does indeed prevent closing the stratospheric ozone hole.
    Hear, hear.....

hey, the guy asked a simple question and i gave him a simple answer.

and absorber purges *are* just vacuum pumps. unless it is too crude to describe a welch vacuum pump as a vacuum pump. like calling a rose merely a flower.
    Last edited by automig; 10-22-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: not trying to rile klove

hey, the guy asked a simple question and i gave him a simple answer.

and absorber purges *are* just vacuum pumps. unless it is too crude to describe a welch vacuum pump as a vacuum pump. like calling a rose merely a flower.
    The point is to give a correct answer so as to not confuse or mislead someone that wouldn't be asking the question to start with if they knew the answer. Sometimes a "simple" answer works best, but oversimplified answers with a smattering of specifics does nothing more than create confusion for someone that doesn't know how something works. To say that all purges use a "small vacuum pump" to rid the purge drum of non-condensibles is very misleading.

On the subject of absorption purges, I have to assume from your explanation of them that you have no experience with automatic purges for absorbers since they are vastly more complex than just having a vacuum pump to pull air from the absorber.

As for "not trying to rile klove", I spent a large portion of my adult life in countries where people with guns didn't want me to be - it'll take far more than a discussion about the rights and wrongs of giving a good answer to a question to irritate me.

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    ...it'll take far more than a discussion about the rights and wrongs of giving a good answer to a question to irritate me.
    sounds like a challenge!

rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile!

the power of cut 'n paste....bwa-haa-haa-haaa!
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best

http://www.welchvacuum.com/product_i...2/1402B-01.jpg

i'm with you, this thing is friggin gorgeous. it is a thought crime to simplify what it does down to pulling a vaccum. it's like a sculpture crossed with a poem. the mystery of how it operates keeps me awake nights.

Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    sounds like a challenge!

rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile! rile!

the power of cut 'n paste....bwa-haa-haa-haaa!
    You, on the other hand, could probably accomplish it with minimal effort

I don't know why I'm in the mood for a debate this evening??....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast