Thread: Calling any Thermostat experts STAT! :)

Post Likes

Smile Calling any Thermostat experts STAT! :)

HVAC experts -

I would appeciate your help. New to this website and I think it's the most informative, honest hvac site on the net - bravo!

Background
    After an 18 year old Lennox Pulse furnace didn't pass the heat exchanger pressure test (only held for 2 minutes instead of 10), it was recommended we replace our furnace. Since our a/c is also a Lennox and 18 yrs old, we decided to buy a new furnace and airconditioner.

We have purchased a Bryant 987MA42080017 modulating 80,000 btus and a Bryant 126BNA036 16SEER A/C (3ton) In addition, we are getting a Honeywell Humidifier - True Ease. Waiting for installation in a few weeks. Price for the furnace is about $. Price for a/c is $. Price for humidifier is $.
    The company will include a basic thermostat for free - no bells and whistles.

Question:It was recommended for us to get either a Honeywell Prestige 8000 or a Bryant Evolution thermostat.
    What are the differences?
    Which is better? Are there more problems with the techy ones than a simple basic one?
    Have there been any reports of problems with either one? Which stat do you like best?
    Would you recommend a different one than those two?

We read online from the two websites and we can't figure out which way to go -
    super simple (free), Honeywell, or Bryant. Also, any idea what these stats should cost - still waiting for the bids on that.

Thank you again. I have to choose the stat soon.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-20-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: prices

Post Likes
    The furnace was designed to work with the evolution stat and is the best stat for that furnace....period....

The contractor did not give you a quote for the evolution stat on his first quote??????
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Sorry, prices are not permitted here.

Post Likes
    Thanks beshvac for your quick response!

To answer your question...No, the contractor did not give me a quote for the Evolution nor the Honeywell stat.

He said that the quote included a basic no frills stat.

We're living in a very small community - not a lot of competition. Only one other contractor sells Bryant and since like you say, "It's all in the install" we wanted to go with the company we chose because they have a better rep for installation. The other bid did however, include an Evolution stat. FYI - the competing bid: Furnace $$$ (including the Evolution), A/C $$$, Humidifier $$$.

I'm sure it varies around the country, but what should we expect approx. for an Evolution stat price or a Honeywell stat price?
    What would happen if a Honeywell was put on a Bryant system? What specifically, makes the Evolution better? By the way, I see you are from Richmond area. Family visited there last year - beautiful area!

Thanks again.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-20-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Pricing

Post Likes
    No prices....
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Oops - sorry HVAC team - didn't know about the prices thing - apologies to all.

Can you tell me, though, what would happen if a Honeywell was put on a Bryant system? What specifically, makes the Evolution better?

The contractor likes both, but is favoring the Honeywell - says it is easier to get a part if the thermostat goes bad, compared to waiting for parts from Bryant which would have to be shipped to him from out of state. Don't know if this is bogus or what.

Also, is it more difficult to install a Bryant Evolution and set it up than a Honeywell? Or are they both easy for the installers to do?

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Beshvac and Beenthere -

Don't know how to edit my own post and remove the prices. Sorry. I thought it would help answer Beshvac's question. But, if someone feels like they can answer the general, non-money questions, I'd be most grateful.

Post Likes
    The furnace will not properly modulate without the Evolution control. So why buy a modulating furnace then not let it work to its best with a Honeywell control?

Post Likes
    Thank you Bald Loonie,

Didn't know that the needs of the furnace and a/c were so very specific to the thermostat. You are further explaining what Beeshvac said too.

Have any of you experts had any problems with the Bryant thermostat? Lots of calls to fix it, recalls, etc. in the past few years?

Unless I'm reading the posts incorrectly, it appears that several experts seem to like Honeywell as a general rule for stats, but I guess it is different when paired with an entire system.

Any problems with the Bryant to your knowledge?

Post Likes
    Honeywell makes thermostats that will work with any system and they also make stats for manufacturers to work with their system (trane). Each manufacture uses slightly different logic in their control boards and have a stat that is designed for that logic. Honeywell will not be specifically designed to work with the logic of the control board so you won't get all the benefits. As for problems with Tstats it is rare for a tstat to be the problem. Sometimes the batteries will corrode and make the stat act weird but in any case if the stat is bad you put up a new one they are not repairable. If the Bryant stat is on back order you can put up any stat temporarily and make the unit work until it comes in.

Post Likes
    Thank you jtrammel for your thorough explanation.

I appreciate everyone giving their advice!

One more question, please.

The contractor is adding a Honeywell all house humidifier to the Bryant furnace. Is that an issue -like the stat - and should I have a Bryant humidifier instead of Honeywell or doesn't it matter as far as performance?

Thank you all HVAC members for being unselfish of your time and helping us with these questions.

Post Likes
    No, you are fine with the Honeywell humidifier. The Evolution control should be able to control it too.

Post Likes
    Thank you all HVAC experts for your help. We appreciate your knowledge and advice!

Post Likes
    No problem, good luck on your new install.

Post Likes
    Baldloonie is correct, use the stat that is designed for the most benefit of that mod furnace. I just did a furnace training class that I am repeating again this week and one of the things I stress is when installing a mod furnace, install the stat that is designed for the mod furnace.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in