Thread: Cutting PVC

Hybrid View

Cutting PVC

Being a "new guy" to this trade I wanted to see what other people are using to cut PVC. Currently for all of our cuts we use a sawzall with a bimetal blade, but it can be difficult to cut straight or cut small pvc. I plan on getting a ratcheting cutter for the small stuff. So whats everybody using on the bigger pipe (2 and 3 inch). Is there a different saw blade that could help.

Milwaukee makes a battery powered cutter that does up to 2 inch, and I've seen plumbers use a chop saw for the bigger stuff, but they were doing a lot of drain plumbing there. I've always just used a sawzall for 3 inch stuff just takes some practice to get straight cuts.

There are tons of people who make ratcheting tube cutters. Go to lowes, depot, or other hardware stores and you will find plenty. But the one that fits your needs. Remember that cheap doesn't always last!

Sawzall makes a mess, and is a PIA when all you need it for is cutting pipe. Get a large pipe cutter, see page 44 of the catalog. I use to sawzall, until years back when watching plumbers knocking out ABS on a house. They were flying through the job, while I was still pulling an extension cord to my saw.
    Mine is a RothenBerger, they are pricey, about 150 bucks for mine, but that was 8 years ago and other than new cutting wheel here and there, still indestructible. Now that I play with commercial refrigeration, nice to have it for the large diameter copper piping I work with now and then.
    http://www.rothenberger-usa.com/file...Hand_tools.pdf

Our plumbers will use the chop saw too but when you're only cutting a couple pieces its alot of trouble and mess to use in somebodies basement. I think the cutters that slc tech referred to is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks guys.

I usually just use a hack saw. It works good on small pipe, and even on bigger pipe it doesn't take too long or too much effort.

A cable saw is also nice to have for cutting pipes apart in tight spaces. It is basically a guitar string with a handle on each end. It is surprisingly fast at cutting through pretty much any size of pvc pipe.

I buy only Ridgid stuff when it comes to plumbing tools.

I will use an awesome hack blade on my leatherman, takes about 45 seconds,
    Or I may also use a standard copper tube cutter. You know, where you twist the handle tightening it and then keep spinning it all around the tube, works the same on PVC.

craftsman multi tool. my "go to" tool for everything.

PVC saw for big stuff, it helps to keep the cut straight, it's harder to keep straight with a hacksaw bc of the small blade but they work too. I use a ratcheting cutter for up to 1"

I use the Milwaukee hackzaw with bi-metal blade, just spin the pipe as you cut to keep a straight line. I also see a few guys use circular saws and miter boxes but the circ. sometimes snaps pipe and the miter takes longer