+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Climacool

Post Likes

Climacool

Has anyone had any Experience with Climacool modular chillers? Service, quality, control?

Post Likes
    Yes, I have experience. What would you like to know?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bluke1 View Post
    Yes, I have experience. What would you like to know?
    Well I will chime in as we are looking at these.

I cannot see in their literature their method of turn down. It looks like hot gas bypass (digital?). Have experience with digital scrolls unloading but not that. How effective is the Climacool setup for turn down and how far can it be turned down?

Also on controls. It looks like they have a master controller with sub controllers with each module UCH/W for maintenance

What happens if the master quits?

Any other general in how well they work, maint issues etc.

Post Likes
    Water used in the system must be very clean. Be sure to have side stream filters and check the strainers regularly. Control system that comes with it can be problematic. If your lucky enough to get a startup guy to come out he will probably not acknowlege the problems with the controls, they believe the controls are perfect. I suggest if you're to buy one to install an automatic reset switch on the control panels.

The master controller is an automated logic controller and each module has an automated logic IO module. If the master quits it will not work. If the master reboots and one of the modules is offline at the time it might forget its there. The master controller is a integral part of the system but it is (in)conveniantly shipped loose with many other loose parts and sensors to install. If the pressure drop across the chiller rises above about 45psi for even a millisecond the chiller will lockout until someone physically resets it. Beware of applications where you might need to bypass the chiller for this pressure drop issue. The chiller will close itself off when it is off creating a situation where you cannot get flow and pressure drop might be high. Beware of trying to use other communication protocols than Bacnet, Others are offered but beware they might not have much experience with them.

With all that, when the unit is running it does work well. I believe the hardware used in the system is good.

Post Likes
    Thank you for the control system architecture. Huge help.

What is the turn down like on these and what method do they use?

I came across a reference that Liebert has copyright on the "digital scroll" term, but not sure if they have the patented on the method?

If we had a 30 ton unit what would the turn down in tonnage be?

Post Likes
    The turn down will just depend on what size compressors and or modules you have. They just stage the compressors in the modules on or off, nothing fancy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rott3 View Post
    The turn down will just depend on what size compressors and or modules you have. They just stage the compressors in the modules on or off, nothing fancy.
    Thank you,

I thought literature mentioned digital hot gas bypass?

Mostly we have old equipment so experience with the new controls methods is non existent.

We do have a couple of Liebert Digital scrolls that have worked good so far. Hope would be for something similar but we may be going in a heavier duty setup with better controls as its a critical application that would not tolerate any control problems. Those would be VFD which I am not keen on, but also concept is multiple modules (two at least, maybe 3 that can handle 85% of the maximum possible load and maximum is rarely needed up here.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in