Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Likes

Help! 30 ton Chiller needed

A little about the house. This was built by a Textile Magnate around 1962 in upstate SC with Alfred Browning Parker as Architect. He owned many textile plants and had this home built by the company that also built many of his plants. The home is 11-12000 Square Feet and uses the cold water chilled system utilizing well water.

So we came home after a 5 day unexpected trip - I killed the system while we were gone. It's old, but you won't believe how good it has cools the house and I really thought it was cool that the original system was still running. Problem is our guy says its the end of the season and there are no water cooled chillers anywhere. It will be 8-12 weeks. Anyone here in the business that can tell me anything different or point me in the right direction? I don't believe in leaving any rocks unturned.

Was looking at a Carrier Aquasnap 30 MP.

What happened? Compressor on left side would short when it started, kicking off unit. So I'd push in the reset (really interesting how this works, little cardboard looking things stick out and you just push them back in with the bar) and it would kick right off. So our guy disconnected the compressor on the right. Said to Run the other one, but I checked on it after a few hours and I think we were minutes from a fire. That's it, it's hot as hell! How did people do this back in the day? By it he way, he's done a good job patching things together, but now that he cannot find it I need some answers.

By the way, we were told there are plenty of air cooled ones, buy why would we want to change? I rather like the ringing sound in the great room by the fireplace, and I understand that water cooled are so much more efficient. Especially when the water tempter is already cool from the well right out of the ground.

Just for kicks the Countach was owned by Mario Andretti.

1-Which systems are best for this application?
    2-Where and how soon can I find one? 8 to 12 weeks is unacceptable. That's why I registered today to post this.
    3-How much more efficient will the new one be? I am afraid that newer is not always better due to environmental, etc. but surly it must be?
    4-Might even put the same or similar back in if I can find it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-28-2016 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Removed email address

Post Likes
    Lamborghini...my dream!! that is also my dogs name: Lamborghini Diablo.

as for the chiller, sorry, can't help you there. i would trust my contractor if i were you. if you don't trust them, find a different one...i am sure that there are others around. these machines can be fairly technical (even the old ones) and damage (or worse) to the chiller, you or your property could occur. please don't mess with it.

considerations...
    1. many improvements have been made in 54 years in terms of reliability and efficiency
    2. your contractor should be able to get you an air cooled rental in less than a week...i would seriously consider this so that you can explore options
    3. get a heat load calculation done on the house. this will involve looking at every ceiling, wall, window, door and floor that touches "outside". your old unit may have been grossly oversized (energy was cheap back then) and improvements/changes in windows, doors, insulation, additions and use of the house in the last 54 years would change which unit, type or options would be best.
    4. depending on size and choices, you may want to go with 2 smaller chillers rather than 1 large one. your contractor should be able to help with your options.
    5. it looks like our boiler has had some issues in the past, too. consider having that replaced at the same time as it will be covered by the same heat load calculation.

good luck.
    Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Political Correctness is forced on you because you have forgotten decency.

3. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the feedback! No, we do trust him, just trying to help locate something much sooner than 8-12 weeks out. I believe in turning over every stone event he pebbles lol! Surly somewhere, in this great big country of ours there is a unit ready to go.....Just trying to help. Yes, he did the water boiler this year, also went out in the winter. Go figure. Hmmm that has me thinking....maybe it's him all along as we have been over the barrel both times haha.

The home had two boilers like that. One ran all the time, and two in the winter. The folk that built this home were the equivalent of Billionairs so money was no concern. Well, it is now for us.

Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    Lamborghini...my dream!! that is also my dogs name: Lamborghini Diablo.

as for the chiller, sorry, can't help you there. i would trust my contractor if i were you. if you don't trust them, find a different one...i am sure that there are others around. these machines can be fairly technical (even the old ones) and damage (or worse) to the chiller, you or your property could occur. please don't mess with it.

considerations...
    1. many improvements have been made in 54 years in terms of reliability and efficiency
    2. your contractor should be able to get you an air cooled rental in less than a week...i would seriously consider this so that you can explore options
    3. get a heat load calculation done on the house. this will involve looking at every ceiling, wall, window, door and floor that touches "outside". your old unit may have been grossly oversized (energy was cheap back then) and improvements/changes in windows, doors, insulation, additions and use of the house in the last 54 years would change which unit, type or options would be best.
    4. depending on size and choices, you may want to go with 2 smaller chillers rather than 1 large one. your contractor should be able to help with your options.
    5. it looks like our boiler has had some issues in the past, too. consider having that replaced at the same time as it will be covered by the same heat load calculation.

good luck.

Post Likes
    Those compressors are still available as a rebuild. If one is around in your area could be up and running in a few days. This will buy you time to locate a new water cooled chiller to have installed over the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have sort of considered this, and that is the way we were going until the other one locked up. I think we found them for about $ each, and our guy said something about it would cost about $ for one redo. So I can't see spending say $ or more on the temporary fix. Plus it was continuing to trip those little cardboard thingies before it went kaput. But, maybe it was the compressor all along causing this? Why did the other one suddenly go? Too much load in the heat from the old unit? Also, when it tripped, there was a think cloud of smoke in the room by the giant breaker box, and nothing scares more more than fire. But you have me thinking now. Hmmm.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-28-2016 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Prices

Post Likes
    Use the contractor locator on this site and have some one come out and look it over for a second opinion.
    A cloud of smoke from the breaker box sounds like a burnt wire, be carful please.
    An older building may mean asbestos on piping and wiring. This will increase the cost of install of a unit for it to be removed. Electrical may need to be updated if the breaker panel was damaged by the smoke.
    Don't mean to be doom and gloom . Older building means it now has to come up to code to protect you and the contractor.

Post Likes
    I would recommend using a company that's part of the Mechanical Service Contractors of America.

https://www.mcaa.org/msca/

Post Likes
    Looking in that mechanical room it reminded me of a church I once took care of . Lots of asbestos , makes me wonder what the possible abatement is going to cost.

Post Likes
    May have to sell the Lampo to pay for abatement. Any takers?

Post Likes

Cool

Haha that's plaster of Paris! Plus private home and we don't need to re-pipe anything so it will be left undisturbed. And if needed we would dispose of the water tower and place an air cooled chiller. All I want is a fast water cooled chiller replacement if anyone has a line on one, that's all. I have two quotes coming first of the week it's just my guy says no dice. So that's that. And oh, I forgot to show you her Daytona, F40, 512 Boxer, 348C, 360s, and a few others lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Chev5372 View Post
    May have to sell the Lampo to pay for abatement. Any takers?

Post Likes
    Oh man living the life. Best I can do is keep my old pick up running.
    York has 30 ton water cooled as well as other brands have them in that tonnage.
    Really sounds like you had a problem with incoming power. Which is why you may have lost the other compressor.
    Get a chiller with scroll compressors, these will save a lot of energy over reciprocating. Might even find something with VFD's to help with part load turn down.
    Good luck . Drive em like you stole em.

13. Likes burnermanriz liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thanks love old trucks too. Have a 69 C50 dump for occasional duty. Just has the right look...

I appreciate the advice, and the power thing has me wondering. I'll have to take a picture of the huge fuse box as it is showing some corrosion.

Is there a brand you like better? What is considered the best? For instance I know in the home consumer market goodman is like the contractor units and considered mid to lower end. Where can I find rankings on commercial chillers? This is just in case my contractors for what ever reason are having issues getting them. I find it hard to believe carrier does not have what I need on shelf etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chev5372 View Post
    Oh man living the life. Best I can do is keep my old pick up running.
    York has 30 ton water cooled as well as other brands have them in that tonnage.
    Really sounds like you had a problem with incoming power. Which is why you may have lost the other compressor.
    Get a chiller with scroll compressors, these will save a lot of energy over reciprocating. Might even find something with VFD's to help with part load turn down.
    Good luck . Drive em like you stole em.

Post Likes
    York is my brand, it's who I work for. This time of year should be able to find a stock chiller, if the power is in the 220-240 volt range.
    A lot of time it is the install not the chiller. Use the contractor locator on the hvac-talk site.
    Rental chiller are available, not cheap, but can get you thru till new one shows up and gets installed.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast