Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Week off

Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    Yeah, in my misspent youth, I was trying for a computer science degree. Wish I had stuck with it although I think hvac will be more sutible to keeping my interest. I actually find computer programing logic training to be very useful in figuring out wiring and troubleshooting the more complex systems. There is not much difference in tracking down a programing error, and faulty equipment/wiring issue. Troubleshoting is actually quite fun.

IT work would pay well, but be boring. No where near as engaging as programing. This is one of the reasons I want access to the educational part of the site. The controls side of HVAC that I have seen seems like it would be neat to learn.
    As I read your post... I thought about controls. This may be a good place to look at. Most controls guys make their living from a laptop plugged into the panels of a major building system.

Personally... I think I was born with a mind that literally 'sees' mechanical things and electrons going down wires. I can just look at things and find the issue... rarely do I have to go through a step by step procedure to find the offending part. (This was the reason aircraft mechanics was not for me; the FAA REQUIRES--by law--you to follow the written procedures to the letter).

The other thing for me: I just like running my own show... Was talking to Greg, the guy with the vending machine co... he and I agreed we would drive a forklift at HD before we would work in corporate again.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    As I read your post... I thought about controls. This may be a good place to look at. Most controls guys make their living from a laptop plugged into the panels of a major building system.

Personally... I think I was born with a mind that literally 'sees' mechanical things and electrons going down wires. I can just look at things and find the issue... rarely do I have to go through a step by step procedure to find the offending part. (This was the reason aircraft mechanics was not for me; the FAA REQUIRES--by law--you to follow the written procedures to the letter).

The other thing for me: I just like running my own show... Was talking to Greg, the guy with the vending machine co... he and I agreed we would drive a forklift at HD before we would work in corporate again.
    Yeah, the main problem I see with learning controls on your own is getting controllers to play with. The programming in them seems simple enough. I have gotten looks at ekon logic builder for ALC and I think it was niagra for honeywell spiders. Seems like it would be easy enough to learn. Then again my first programing was done on a 70s era vax that the college I had was teaching on, this was late 90's mind you. programing on a dumb terminal in ansi standard C. Getting a complex program running for the first time is comparable to tracking down some of the more complex problems in HVAC.

I tend to veiw everything as a system based on what I have learned with computers.

I have a PS3 that my kid uses. One day my oldest told me her boyfriend plays a lot online - so he hooked me up with a few games. Once I got playing, I got hooked. I can spend an entire afternoon of wasted time online playing Battlefield or Call of Duty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12