+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil on flare

Post Likes

Oil on flare

Understand oil on threads and back of the flare advantages.

Read on another site that oil on the mating flare faces helps achieve a the best flare connection.

Would use POE on threads myself just to avoid risk of contamination (410 system), obviously a must if on the flare itself.

So, was someone just blowing smoke or is oil on the flare itself 'goodness', and why?

Post Likes
    I always oil the threads and back of the flare, never the faces. I use WD-40 in a pen type applicator (stores easily in my bag) since the amount of oil is minimal and not in the refrigeration system I don't worry about contamination. A good flaring tool (YJ 60278) and oil and my flares don't leak (except for the one I made yesterday, but it looked perfect).

I can't see how oiling the face helps since it is ultimately about compression.

Post Likes
    As long as the flare is sized correctly and clean, and the tension is correct on the flare nut, I have never seen a need for oiling the flare faces.

Post Likes
    I was reading the manufacturers instructions the other day for a mini-split and they are now suggesting that you add oil to both the inside and outside of the flare. I had the same question as you, so I contacted Daikin and the rep told me that we should be using PVE oil instead of POE. It seems that the majority of the mini-split manufacturers are using PVE oil in their systems instead of POE.

Well, none of my distributors carry PVE oil, but Nu-Calgon sells it and most distributors can get it for you if requested.

Hope that helps...

Post Likes
    You want to minimize "grip" as much as you can, same reason you oil the back of the flare. If during the tightening the mating surface wants to slide it's easier with oil. Remember, every flare is just a little different from the tool so as you tighten it down the shape may adjust a little, oil keeps the mating surface from gripping in such a scenario which leads to better seal. It's more of an extra than a necessity though in my opinion.

I've seen gas companies oil the mating surface of black iron unions for the same reason.

Post Likes
    Good ole nylog is perfect for this app!

Post Likes

Mitsubishi recommends oil

Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    and why?
    When I went to a Mitsubishi class several years ago, the insturctor recommended using
    refrigeration oil on the flare to make sure the microscopic pores were full of something.

I use Nylog.

Post Likes
    Yep I use nylog as well, on the face, back and the threads.

Post Likes
    Nylog here also. I apply it to all my service valve caps when installing too. I got both the red and blue. It's funny how they recommend you uses the blue for poe and red for mineral but then they say you can use each for both...

Post Likes
    Nylog on every flare for me. The stuff is great.
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Post Likes
    Nylogs not available here, but have been using poe in a little oiler for years.

On one of the milk cooler manufacturers equipment i look after they use what looks like silicone grease on the back of the flare, never had one of their factory one leak, with that in mind been trying out aluminum anti seize grease on the back of flares after getting a tube of Loctite stuff at a car show, seems to work well and stops the pipe turning with the nut.

Post Likes
    I carry a little eye-dropper full of mineral oil with me everywhere. I oil everything with it, including flare nuts. Oil helps when you are actually making the flare also. The amount of oil we are talking about here is so minute that even if it were to get into a system with POE, it wouldn't make a bit of difference. For everything outside of a refrigeration circuit, WD-40 and dry graphite powder are my weapons of choice. On my PMs, I spray down hinges, door latches, linkages, ball joints, etc. WD-40 also works ok for keeping certain things from weathering and rusting, but I prefer to paint items like that with an enamel like Glyptal. Sorry to get so off track there... lol
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    I've never heard of Nylog. Is it oil based or what?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrak View Post
    I've never heard of Nylog. Is it oil based or what?
    Yes its like honey made out of oil.

There are 2kinds red label is mineral and blue is Poe.

All I can get is the blue and just use that personally.

Now I use it on all sorts of things. Bottle stays right in my bag.

Post Likes
    Nylog is worth every penny. It's not too expensive either. Just a dab will do... Had a industrial refer tech introduce it to me and I've had it in my tool bag for 3 years now. Keep the blue pipe dope for pipe threads.. Nylon for anything refer. I've sealed gaskets and other joints with it.
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Post Likes
    Nylog video. I use the stuff for all flare fittings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAULfI8-Wwk

Post Likes
    Yep good olde Nylog. Works every time. As a matter of fact, I insist that my installers use it on all refrigeration flare connections.

Post Likes
    Wow I gotta get me some of that!

Post Likes
    I put it on everything including all of my Digital manifold and hose connections. Its also great on your evacuation connection setups. I ripped through three bottles of the blue this summer and i don't use alot on each connection. Just a few dabs and when you screw on the fitting it disperses perfectly! Once i found nylog last year i threw that blue leak lock goop right in the trash!!! I got sick of finding that stuff suck in screen of TXVs and plugged in fixed metering devices because of installers applying to much of that crap on flare connections!!! LONG LIVE NYLOG!

Post Likes
    I find it amazing that I still have to buy Nylog red & blue via Internet since none of the locals stock it. Can't understand it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in