Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil on flare

Hybrid View

Oil on flare

Understand oil on threads and back of the flare advantages.

Read on another site that oil on the mating flare faces helps achieve a the best flare connection.

Would use POE on threads myself just to avoid risk of contamination (410 system), obviously a must if on the flare itself.

So, was someone just blowing smoke or is oil on the flare itself 'goodness', and why?

I always oil the threads and back of the flare, never the faces. I use WD-40 in a pen type applicator (stores easily in my bag) since the amount of oil is minimal and not in the refrigeration system I don't worry about contamination. A good flaring tool (YJ 60278) and oil and my flares don't leak (except for the one I made yesterday, but it looked perfect).

I can't see how oiling the face helps since it is ultimately about compression.

As long as the flare is sized correctly and clean, and the tension is correct on the flare nut, I have never seen a need for oiling the flare faces.

I was reading the manufacturers instructions the other day for a mini-split and they are now suggesting that you add oil to both the inside and outside of the flare. I had the same question as you, so I contacted Daikin and the rep told me that we should be using PVE oil instead of POE. It seems that the majority of the mini-split manufacturers are using PVE oil in their systems instead of POE.

Well, none of my distributors carry PVE oil, but Nu-Calgon sells it and most distributors can get it for you if requested.

Hope that helps...

You want to minimize "grip" as much as you can, same reason you oil the back of the flare. If during the tightening the mating surface wants to slide it's easier with oil. Remember, every flare is just a little different from the tool so as you tighten it down the shape may adjust a little, oil keeps the mating surface from gripping in such a scenario which leads to better seal. It's more of an extra than a necessity though in my opinion.

I've seen gas companies oil the mating surface of black iron unions for the same reason.

Good ole nylog is perfect for this app!

Yep good olde Nylog. Works every time. As a matter of fact, I insist that my installers use it on all refrigeration flare connections.

I put it on everything including all of my Digital manifold and hose connections. Its also great on your evacuation connection setups. I ripped through three bottles of the blue this summer and i don't use alot on each connection. Just a few dabs and when you screw on the fitting it disperses perfectly! Once i found nylog last year i threw that blue leak lock goop right in the trash!!! I got sick of finding that stuff suck in screen of TXVs and plugged in fixed metering devices because of installers applying to much of that crap on flare connections!!! LONG LIVE NYLOG!

Mitsubishi recommends oil

Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    and why?
    When I went to a Mitsubishi class several years ago, the insturctor recommended using
    refrigeration oil on the flare to make sure the microscopic pores were full of something.

I use Nylog.

Yep I use nylog as well, on the face, back and the threads.

Nylog here also. I apply it to all my service valve caps when installing too. I got both the red and blue. It's funny how they recommend you uses the blue for poe and red for mineral but then they say you can use each for both...

Nylog on every flare for me. The stuff is great.
    Chaos equals cash$$$

I carry a little eye-dropper full of mineral oil with me everywhere. I oil everything with it, including flare nuts. Oil helps when you are actually making the flare also. The amount of oil we are talking about here is so minute that even if it were to get into a system with POE, it wouldn't make a bit of difference. For everything outside of a refrigeration circuit, WD-40 and dry graphite powder are my weapons of choice. On my PMs, I spray down hinges, door latches, linkages, ball joints, etc. WD-40 also works ok for keeping certain things from weathering and rusting, but I prefer to paint items like that with an enamel like Glyptal. Sorry to get so off track there... lol
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast