Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quality Control on New Units

Had this crooked line on a new unit we just put in.

I know its not a big deal and will probably be fine, but it just seems like they would take more care at the factory and do a better job.

I question how far it's in there ?

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    I question how far it's in there ?
    Yeah, I know. It looked like less than 1/8 of an inch.

What make is that unit & is that micro channel ?

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    What make is that unit & is that micro channel ?
    Trane Voyager, and yes it has a micro channel condenser.

With no scale to go by, is that the discharge or suction line ?

The unit has hot gas reheat for dehumidification. Its the line going from the reheat valve to the reheat coil.

Its a 1/2 or 5/8 line. I can't remember which.

Quality control sucks these days and the people building them have no pride. Not something I would expect to see in a Trane. Guess they are all headed down hill. Well at least the leak will be easy to find.

Typical of every manufacturer. Send the pic to your local FSR. With model and serial number. Nothing ever gets changed if we never report it.

I have seen a lot of problems with Trane units over the last several years. I have a customer that has mostly Trane units. In the last four years, there have had nine RTU's installed. Eight of them have had some kind of problem due to poor manufacturing or quality control.

Quote Originally Posted by hands View Post
    I have seen a lot of problems with Trane units over the last several years. I have a customer that has mostly Trane units. In the last four years, there have had nine RTU's installed. Eight of them have had some kind of problem due to poor manufacturing or quality control.
    i am no longer a trane fan. Its all junk. i see goodmans now. At least they are cheaper.

Service company make a lot money for factory cheap labor rates . You get what you pay for in labor . Work with factory people before . Quote from one factory guy was I"m getting $11 dollars an hour and one of the highest paid.

I was just looking at a York trying to find a leak because it's been in 2 months and I had to add almost the entire factory charge back in, no luck on finding the leak and no oil anywhere but it had a line that looked a lot like that on the discharge line, barely buried because of how sharp the angle was.

Seems to be common now on most units to find something like that, the start up has to be more extensive than ever, checking connections, screw tightness, set screws and everything else.

In the last year I had a blower wheel rub right through the shaft because the set screw was not even in anymore(it ran that way for awhile), also had a condenser fan fall off the shaft, a couple units that had no gas in them at all because braze joints were never finished, how's that unit make it out of the factory??

My manager is all for being thorough on start ups though so it just gives me more to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast