Thread: My options?

Unhappy

Hey guys,

I am a HVAC student in the Atlanta metro area. I am going after a AAT degree in HVAC technology. I am 31 yrs. old. I go to school during the day so I have been trying to find an evening job to get me by while I am attending school. Sound easy? Not for me. I have a bad criminal background. 9 1/2 years in the slammer, split between two trips. I really screwed up my youth. I am trying to get my you know what together, but I am up against a brick wall. With no credible experience(I have 3 1/2yrs. building maint. but can't claim it because it was while I was in) and the criminal background I cannot get a job. I have applied to over 100 jobs 0 calls. I am talking about $7-$8hr jobs in factories, grocery stores etc.
    My question is this. When I graduate and recieve my degree how hard is going to be for me to get a job in the industry? What can I do now to rectify my standing in the job market?.........Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

jls74,
    keep trying and never give up.
    Check out a post by hvac74 thats looking for a trainee,
    here is the link in case it got shuffled from top
    Good luck bro
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=118732

opps that should be hvac45,
    sorry 45 didn't mean to make you older than you are :-)

i'm having a hard time just because i was arrested for a felony, i don't have a felony on my record.

i've seen some guys get hired out of prison and get jobs in residential repair, while covered in tats.

you might be able to find a decent job in new construction installation.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the positive comments. I am trying to find someplace to get my foot in the door in the industry. Also, I am getting an idea of the overall attitude toward someone in my position.

any chance you'll move?

Relocating is possible. But, since I am in my first at school quarter that will be in the future. Actually after graduation I would like to find work in the north Georgia mountains, North Carolina, Tennessee or a similar setting.

Smile

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you. Are these felonies or misdemeanors on your background?

Felonies, I really screwed up. I didn't think about things like finding a good job when I was a teenager. I was doing ceramic tile work for $100/day. I guess I thought that was more than enough and that it would last forever. I really didn't care, I just wanted to live for the moment. You know hindsight really is 20/20. I tell myself the past is unchangable, but the present and future is clay to be molded.

I have a friend that got into alot of trouble and things looked bad.No job,homeless,his car was stolen,he was on meth,and is looking at 20 years in the pen.That is what you call rock bottom.I turned my back on him untill he got off the chit.He dropped to his knees and gave himself to God and you can see it in his eyes.We hired him a year ago and have never regreted a day having him.The owner is a strict old man and would of never have hired him if I did'nt give him a good word.

If you look hungry and never give up all will be ok.