Small 1/5 hp hermetic compressor

Hi, Anybody ever come across a new compressor with 1/4 inch discharge port acting and running as a suction port, condensor cold and evaporator warm, this is a single phase, 115 volt small 1/5 hp hermetic compressor with r22 as refrigerant, pressures are 40 psig at ll drier and 60 psig on comp. suction port out the top, disharge is 1/4 inch and suction is 3/8 inch. is this a factory regect, never seen this before. tecumseh comp..
    Never Assume Anything

You sure it's piped correctly? There are plenty of pumps out there with a 1/4 or 5/16 discharge line, 3/8 suction line and 1/4 suction tap.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Hi, so what your saying is that on this compressor the 1/4 inch is the suction and the 3/8 is the discharge. i have never seen this before, i was trained that the smaller tube is going to be discharge line. thanks
    Never Assume Anything

No. There are 3 tubes on most small tin cans. a discharge which is either 1/4 or 5/16. There are 2 suction tubes. one is 3/8 and the other is 1/4. The 3/8 is for the suction line and the 1/4 is to put a schrader tap on.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    No. There are 3 tubes on most small tin cans. a discharge which is either 1/4 or 5/16. There are 2 suction tubes. one is 3/8 and the other is 1/4. The 3/8 is for the suction line and the 1/4 is to put a schrader tap on.
    ^^^
    A lot of people call the pinched off stub a "process tube".

I took measurment with caliper there is 1 tube that comes off the top part of the compressor and goes straight up which is 5/16 and put my schrader for suction press., and there are 2 tubes that come out lower on comp. 1 is 5/16 or .3125 the other is .250 and which data says that is discharge but i am getting suction on this 1/4 inch tube, comp. goin back
    Never Assume Anything

Don,t forget to use a biflow drier in your new heatpump.

What's the compressor model number?

Also, if you have the Bill of Material (BOM) number, you can ID the stub tube connections by entering it in this little program: Compressor Housing Drawing App

On most of the Tecumseh fractional hermetics I've seen the Suction line is highest and largest. The discharge is next to the process and just below. YMMV.

Tecumseh has an excellent service handbook, pm me your email if you would like a copy.