Any Help - Page 3
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Help

There was a similar thread earlier this year of a guy who was cleaning ice machines and said it was boring and he wanted more. He shot his mouth off and had a pretty bad attitude and got blasted here. A short time after he got fired from his job.

My point is attitude is nearly everything. I want you to understand I'm not trying to take a shot at you, I just want you to understand what can happen.

I myself started as a peon doing condenser cleanings, air handler maintenance and the like which aren't nearly as sexy. I learned some valuable lessons there and you can too. Gaining experience from watching someone else jack it up is priceless. Take it all in. While doing your service dig deeper. Don't just clean the air handler, study how it works. Study the controls that control it. Study the wiring. All of this will pay big dividends later when you get a call. Find out where the power is fed from, etc etc.

As far as guys on this site go, if you show a positive attitude and ask directed questions (even if they are stupid) you will always find your answer.

Use the chip on your shoulder as an advantage and not a disadvantage. Out work, out study, out perform all of your coworkers and you will reap the rewards. As I tell the guys I work with...."just go out and do your thing".

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    There was a similar thread earlier this year of a guy who was cleaning ice machines and said it was boring and he wanted more. He shot his mouth off and had a pretty bad attitude and got blasted here. A short time after he got fired from his job.

My point is attitude is nearly everything. I want you to understand I'm not trying to take a shot at you, I just want you to understand what can happen.

I myself started as a peon doing condenser cleanings, air handler maintenance and the like which aren't nearly as sexy. I learned some valuable lessons there and you can too. Gaining experience from watching someone else jack it up is priceless. Take it all in. While doing your service dig deeper. Don't just clean the air handler, study how it works. Study the controls that control it. Study the wiring. All of this will pay big dividends later when you get a call. Find out where the power is fed from, etc etc.

As far as guys on this site go, if you show a positive attitude and ask directed questions (even if they are stupid) you will always find your answer.

Use the chip on your shoulder as an advantage and not a disadvantage. Out work, out study, out perform all of your coworkers and you will reap the rewards. As I tell the guys I work with...."just go out and do your thing".
    Ryan1088, WOW, I want to THANK YOU VERY MUCH for that reply. It home dude! One of the few replies that actually has made some sense without attacking me. Some people can learn a lot just by reading your reply. Guys that work with you should be very lucky. Once again Thank you for that inspiring reply. You are the man!

You bet. Now apply for pro membership so you can start your learning experience from this site!

MrHVA, this sentence in itself should shed some light on what others here were shooting at you.

ryan1088, way to coddle the new guy. ... You did it in a way that was both informative and respectful, I sir applaud you.

Meant no disrespect to you in my first post on the thread, but you were throwing punches to people responding to you thread and not taking anything positive out of any of it...

I would be willing to bet if you go back through the thread and pick apart all that was said, everything ryan1088 had written would be hidden in there somewhere. This trade can be brutal if you let it.

Humble up, be quiet and learn, your investment of time now will help you in ways you can't even imagine later.

Good luck and I apologize if I offended you, but you were being sort of a little butt....

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHVA View Post
    The Equipment I'm maintaining ranges any where from 25 to 100 ton roof top units. Direct fired heating units. Indoor air handling units. Electric Reheats, HOt Water reheats....Furnaces..etc....the list goes on.

I really am not given a chance to actually service/repair these units because there a lot of arrogant self indulged ******** I work with that try to be heroes and look like a superstars any chance they get. Meanwhile, I witnessed one of the so called "top mechanic" I work with blow thermal overloads cuz he wired a simple dual speed motor backwords. Pathetic, if you ask me but whatever thats how it goes in this industry. And then try to justify it by saying " the manufacturer labeled it wrong". YEAH OK! Anyway, I know mistakes happen own up to it or ask someone else for help it won't hurt.

sorry for the rant

so......

any help?
    You failed to answer the second part of my question.

What qualifications do you have?

This isn't rookie stuff you're dealing with, and pointing fingers of blame at everyone around you isn't a great way to get a break in this trade.

I remember that one.

Another noob that knew it all...

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    You failed to answer the second part of my question.

What qualifications do you have?

This isn't rookie stuff you're dealing with, and pointing fingers of blame at everyone around you isn't a great way to get a break in this trade.
    I started this thread with a question. That question was "does anybody know how/who to contact at Trane in New York about a job?" Qwerty Hvac was the only person to come close.

Why do you need to know my qualifications? I just don't see the need. I feel that I don't have to answer your question about my qualification for a number of reasons:

1) I don't think I will be applying for pro.

2) I don't think you'll help me get a new job

3) I am not giving out advice on HVAC.

So, I'm sorry but I'm not going to answer your question.

I started this thread with a question. That question was "does anybody know how/who to contact at Trane in New York about a job?" Qwerty Hvac was the only person to come close.

Why do you need to know my qualifications? I just don't see the need. I feel that I don't have to answer your question about my qualification for a number of reasons:

Your welcome!

Sent from my iPhone 4s
    using Tapatalk
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

MrHva, don't get turned away from this forum because of a couple of guys. We are always trying to help for the most part. I have learned a lot here as have all of the other posters in this thread. You should apply for pro so you can learn more. You never stop learning in this trade because new equipment is coming out every day.

Sent from my iPhone 4s
    using Tapatalk
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Gonna use my prick coupon on this one.....

On what grounds does that have to do with anything?

Then why the hell are you here asking for help? There very well could be one of the posters able to do just that (offer you a job) you never know who is posting, could be a service manager of the company your asking about...Think about it.

That was apparent with your first post.

Never thought you were. You made it quite clear that you're so good at what you do that us losers would not know what you were talking about because it was so cutting edge... (feeling the sarcasm? I laid it on quite thick)...

Since you wont answer the questions, I will improvise...

You sound like someone who has been in the trade for about two to three years. (am I close?), you have been to little to no formal training but already think you know more than everybody and don't accept help when it is offered to you. You also sound like someone that has little to no respect for people that can actually teach you a thing or two at your job. I know I don't want to help someone who can't help themselves and are cocky about it.
    You also sound like someone that thinks that everything your being payed to do is below you, this will be your demise if not changed.

I've been around the block a few times, I have seen this trade chew people up and spit them out, I make EXCELLENT money doing what I do, I genuinely love my job and want to help people who do the same. The trade IMHO does not need more people with your attitude, there are too many already.

Cool your jets a bit and you will get there. Trust me on this one.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

What I'm hearing is "I can't get out of maintenance but I've got qualifications"

Asking what those qualifications are is a valid question.

If you've got NATE and an EPA card, you've got SQUAT. It's meaningless. Every kid coming out of tech school has that and thinks that they should make top wages.

Now, if you've got some REAL qualifications it becomes a different matter.

It sounds to me as if you fall into the first category that I describe, so here is my advice to you.

Suck up your attitude, do the jobs given to you and try to learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post

Then why the hell are you here asking for help? There very well could be one of the posters able to do just that (offer you a job) you never know who is posting, could be a service manager of the company your asking about...Think about it.
    Excellent point, GT.

Many people have been hired from posts on this site.

My company hired one and he's turned out to be a phenomenal asset to the company.

Also, people who do hiring read this site.

It wouldn't take too sharp of a person at NY Trane to put your story together with your application...

In one thread, you've badmouthed your co-workers and taken shots at people who are trying to give you assistance.

Not exactly what I would look for in a candidate for hire.

I'm kind of in the same boat that you are. I am 40 years old fresh from trade school, and got hired on about 4 months ago as a installer. I went into this line of work because I am good at problem solving and troubleshooting, and felt that service work would be a good fit for me.

I am partnered with a 32 year old guy who is so full of himself its sickening sometimes. To him he is perfect in every aspect of his personal and work life. I also hear him say on several occasions daily referring to other people in the company as idiots, and I am sure I am included in that. He even went so far as to tell me that he is so good if he left the company they would go out of business ( been in business for 52 years ). He is very good at sheetmetal work though and I have learned a lot from him in this short time.

For the first time in a long time I find myself asking other people how to do something, and it has been humiliating at times. Sometimes in life you just have to suck it up and deal with it. Your opportunity will come someday, in the mean time learn some humility. Being confident is good, being cocky is not.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast