Copeland Semi hermetic very hot head- questions

Copeland Semi hermetic very hot head- questions

I have a Copeland model ERF2-0310-CAB that was bought used and working by these mennonite fellows and they wanted me to hook it up to a milk cooler tank and it's being used as a turkey carcass cooler, filled with water. The milk cooler has 2 r12 TXVs on it. The bad news is this ran about 10 seconds with the discharge service valve closed before I realized it and shut it off. This was the first time it ran. In order to facilitate what they are trying to do I have the system filled with MO49 plus.
    After opening the discharge valve, It started fine and my suction pressure is running about 45, the water temp in the cooler is about 60 degrees and my high side pressure is running about 110. The unit is drawing about 9 amps, seems like it isn't doing much work, however I shut it down for a different reason. The condenser fan did not come on the way I have the fan cycling control set.

There was some oil on the compressor and after about 10 minutes I guess it started evaporating and was a little smoky. The head on this compressor when I shut if off was smoking a little, and I measured the temperature of the head and it's running about 355 degrees... this seems way too hot.

I did not measure the temp of the discharge line but it's plenty hot, so it seems like it's working, but the high temp of the head and the smoking told me not to let it run unattended for a few hours.

Did I ruin the valves by running it with the discharge service valve closed that short of time?. Will a new valve plate kit fix it?

By the way, these guys were told these two units could work together by a couple bigger refrigeration companies that sold them the units.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
    "Delay is preferable to error"- Thomas Jefferson

It maybe mechanically toast. You may need another compressor to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by xpuser357 View Post
    It maybe mechanically toast. You may need another compressor to start with.

I was afraid that might be the solution....rats!!

Pull the head and take a look at it... See what the discharge valve looks like. Im thinking its broke.
    Why didn't you do that while you were on the job?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Pull the head and take a look at it... See what the discharge valve looks like. Im thinking its broke.

Definitely pull the head.

A valve plate is cheaper than a compressor.

hoping...

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    I shut the unit off when I knew there was something going on and it was the end of the day and the unit is not going to be in production for another 2 weeks.

I have a new plate kit coming today and I wanted to be able to pop the old valve plate off and put a new one on.

I'm hoping to God that's what it is...

I just can't believe I did not check that before I turned it on....don't know what I was thinking... or not thinking...could have saved myself alot of sleeplessness last night.

My dad told me along time ago sometimes I need to learn things the hard way!

Thanks for the input I really appreciate it

Update- It was the valve plate. I pulled the head and there was a piece of gasket material stuck in the spring valve, After replacing the valve plate I fired it up and it started working as it was supposed to. Thank you Jesus!

Why you thanking him ? He's probly the one who put that gasket in there

There's just one little problem, the ERF2-0310-CAB is a H22/M502 compressor. It's not rated for R12.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Why you thanking him ? He's probly the one who put that gasket in there
    Snapperhead Really! do you have something against God! he loves you too.. Really he does..
    Tcape We had a guy do that I checked it out and told them to changed both heads one was an unloader now up and running good