Thread: Bung Hole

Bung Hole

I got a project that I would like to tap into a 4000 gallon storage tank but I need to cut in a new bung hole in the bottom...top is not a problem for obvious reasons. Anyone know if there is a method to do this without draining the tank. Facility is process so would like to eliminate down time of draining and refilling tank. Thanks.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Assuming this is a steel vessel. You would need to find a welder that can hot tap a valve onto the bottom. Then you would end up with a ball valve, sized to your connection on the bottom. This is all assuming that you don't have an asme rated vessel. If you do, you will have to find an asme certified welding company.

Sorry, I thought about materials after I posted.....not metal.....plastic composite. I was thinking there might be some sort of self taping device that could have a ball valve on it that would be opened after installed. Just not sure if it could be tightened enough without having a spin nut and gasket inside the tank.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

It looks like a lot of the companies that can perform a hot tap, can do so on composites. I would call around and find out.

Thanks, I'll look around. Probably need to call someone from out of State.

Depending upon material and bung hole size.

Mount a flange (female internal thread) in position (glue, strap, plastic weld or screw), get a valve (ball for example) and male threaded long nipple, cut one end of the nipple at a slight angle and sharpen this cut. But the other end into the valve.

get a hole saw and score the tank throught the mounted flange!

Now with the valve off, screw the angle end of the nipple into the flange, the sharpened angle nipple will cut through the weaken part of the tank.

Open valve, "flow"