Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    HVAC contractors have been scared of undersizing for years. This is why there are so many oversized systems installed. It all depends on how you define comfort. 78f inside when it's 100f outside is fine to me. I don't want to give up comfort the other 98% of the time to maintain a 72f setpoint on the hottest days. You will most likely need to release the contractor from capacity complaints in order for him to "risk" the smaller system. Your overall comfort over the cooling season will be better with a smaller system.

No contractor gets this call "my ac isn't running enough and the air is too cold"

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    How many months worth of payments on a new system will that cover? Fair number, probably first year, no?
    No. At 4.99% for 5 years through my credit union, the cash-out would cover the first 6 months worth of payments. The annual savings in my electric bill (using the high guess) would cover 3 payments a year in years 2 through 5.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    HVAC contractors have been scared of undersizing for years. This is why there are so many oversized systems installed.
    FWIW, one contractor even told me the county would deny his permit if he tried to put a 3-ton in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Joy View Post
    FWIW, one contractor even told me the county would deny his permit if he tried to put a 3-ton in my house.
    The 500sqft per ton "code" is a tough one to break. It started in the 60's when homes first started having central AC's installed. With an older poorly insulated home it probably needed 500sqft/ton. The "rule of thumb" never got updated as homes became better insulated. Newer homes that are well sealed and insulated and can require as little as 1,000sqft per ton. That would mean a TWO ton unit for your house!!! My own house has a 2 ton unit for 1600sqft and can hold 75 inside when it's 100 outside. Design temp for our area is 96 so my unit is technically STILL oversized, maybe should have gone with the 1.5ton...

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    A 13 seer condenser on a 10 or 12 seer evaporator will not give you 13 seer. You have to have an ahri match to confirm seer. The home warranty co will settle with you but they will say they can have it replaced for x $s which is a lie and is about 1/4 of the actual cost it would be or less
    I'm not sure if there's an AHRI certificate matching my Rheem evaporator coil with the 13 SEER Carrier (ICP) condenser they intend to install. However, I did find out my Rheem coil, model #RCHJ-48A1AS24, is a 14 SEER coil, per the Rheem publication below.

https://www.rheemote.net/docstore/we...s/20707-17.pdf

I'm not sure if there's an AHRI certificate matching my Rheem evaporator coil with the 13 SEER Carrier (ICP) condenser they intend to install. However, I did find out my Rheem coil, model #RCHJ-48A1AS24, is a 14 SEER coil, per the Rheem publication below.

There isn't. The manufactures don't test their condenses with other manufacturers coils.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

That should eliminate one contractor for you.

Originally Posted by Florida Joy

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    There isn't. The manufactures don't test their condenses with other manufacturers coils.
    And the saga continues.....

Just got off the phone with the HWC's chosen contractor (located in another county, BTW) discussing county code enforcement requirements and cost of permitting a condenser change-out and "matching" a Rheem evap coil with a Carrier condenser.

He said "it can't be done" IAW 2010 Florida Building Code that went into effect 1/1/2012. He will get back with the HWC and explain that code requires changing the entire system. Since my policy DOES cover this, I expect to get a better cash-out offer. At that point, I'll weigh and decide whether I take the money or let them install a new 13 SEER system. BTW, their contractor needs to get "registered" with my county before he can even apply for a permit... i'm sure that cost (traveling from Pompano Beach) will be passed on to me, too.

Originally Posted by Florida Joy

Of course the cost will be passed to you just like obamacare...lol. I wouldn't let a hwc contractor work on my house period. Not necessarily bc they aren't good tradesmen, usually they aren't, but bc the amount hwc's pay is not enough to stay on a job long enough to get it done right. I refuse to work for any hwc, its like pulling teeth to get paid and they always claim they have so and so contractor in fill in the blank city that will do it for 1/2 of what you want to do it. Last time they called me and have me that line I told them to pay so and so to come do it then.

And the saga continues.....

Just got off the phone with the HWC's chosen contractor (located in another county, BTW) discussing county code enforcement requirements and cost of permitting a condenser change-out and "matching" a Rheem evap coil with a Carrier condenser.
    Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-24-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags

Not sure what happened with the quotes in that last post

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Not sure what happened with the quotes in that last post
    Why, whats wrong with it, looks fine to me.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Update #394 in the continuing search for "cool"!

After a bit of back & forth between the hwc and their contractor this morning about the requirement to "permit" the install, I changed my mind and decided to just take the eleven hundred. I should have the check within 2 weeks.

So.. the search is still on for the "right" installer willing to put in the "right" 3-ton.

Waiting on quotes from a Rheem/Bryant dealer on 15 SEER and 19 SEER in both brands. He was here for quite awhile discussing the "needs" of my house. He didn't appear to be afraid of ductwork and had all the right answers about relocating my condenser, reducting from the plenum to a mixing box to balance front to back airflow, and adding a return with a jumper from the back part of the house that's a long, long way from the ahu. Also offered to "hang" the flex that's currently sitting on top of insulation and vent my bath fans to the soffit (as required by 2010 Florida Code).

So... Bryant Evolution 3-ton Trophy... pro's and con's? Or top of the line Rheem?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast