Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Did he try to unlock it ? If not good you are better off.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Did he try to unlock it ? If not good you are better off.
    No, he said that was NOT an option. He will recommend to the HWC to replace the entire condenser, not just the compressor, due to the condition of the coil.

Here are the details of my HWC coverage for A/C:

Covered: Central air conditioner, wall air conditioner and evaporative cooler, including condenser, compressor, evaporative coil, air handler, thermostat, refrigerant lines, leaks in accessible condensate drain lines, metering device (e.g. evaporative coil piston or thermal expansion valve).

If necessary, as part of a covered replacement, we will upgrade an air conditioner system to federally mandated S.E.E.R. standards.

When replacing the condenser of an air conditioning or heat pump split system, we will replace any covered component as well as modify the plenum, indoor electrical, air handling transition, and duct connections, as necessary, to maintain compatibility and operating efficiency as required by the manufacturer of the replacement unit, including the installation of metering devices.

A 13 seer condenser on a 10 or 12 seer evaporator will not give you 13 seer. You have to have an ahri match to confirm seer. The home warranty co will settle with you but they will say they can have it replaced for x $s which is a lie and is about 1/4 of the actual cost it would be or less

Wonder if they will send another tech (2nd opinion) before condemning entire unit.

That poor compressor could have been saved most likely if the true reason that the high pressure sw was kicking was found.

This happens everyday across the nation and I'm sure ive been the one to blame before.

I'm very grateful for all the senior guys on this site and everyone who puts it together so we can help "save those compressors "

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    A 13 seer condenser on a 10 or 12 seer evaporator will not give you 13 seer. You have to have an ahri match to confirm seer. The home warranty co will settle with you but they will say they can have it replaced for x $s which is a lie and is about 1/4 of the actual cost it would be or less
    Yep, you got it right! They offered to replace the entire Rheem condenser with a 13 SEER Carrier R22 dry charge (said it's "compatible" with my ahu), OR give me a small cash settlement that would be about 1/4 of the cost of replacing the entire system with a 13 SEER.

Oh well, I've made my decision and will DELAY my investment in a more efficient system for the time being. Told them to go ahead and put in the 13 SEER condenser.... at least it will be NEW!

Thanks to all of the pro's on this forum for educating me. Sorry to cheap out on this, but I have a few other home improvement issues to deal with... need new Hardi-board siding, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Joy View Post
    Yep, you got it right! They offered to replace the entire Rheem condenser with a 13 SEER Carrier R22 dry charge (said it's "compatible" with my ahu), OR give me a small cash settlement that would be about 1/4 of the cost of replacing the entire system with a 13 SEER.

Oh well, I've made my decision and will DELAY my investment in a more efficient system for the time being. Told them to go ahead and put in the 13 SEER condenser.... at least it will be NEW!

Thanks to all of the pro's on this forum for educating me. Sorry to cheap out on this, but I have a few other home improvement issues to deal with... need new Hardi-board siding, for example.
    Maybe you can slip the hvac guy a couple of bucks to condem the siding too.

Tsk tsk tsk, all the homework you've done and you're having them slam dunk a condenser in. Oh well, to be honest that's probably what I would have done if it was my house too...lol.

Bad move
    Always here

Can you pay the difference and upgrade the system?

Also said if I downsized from 3.5 ton to 3 ton, I would lose a lot of my terrific air flow.
    lmao. You are starting to really recognize and have fun when you hear the bs.

Reading further... oh too bad about the change out. Too bad you can't negotiate upgrade with the installer.

What size? Be interesting to see if your energy bills go down.

How much annual savings did you figure a Greenspeed would provide? I thought it was going to carry a fair part of it's cost.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Can you pay the difference and upgrade the system?
    I either let them replace the R22 condenser with the minimum required by law (13 SEER), or I take the eleven hundred in cash-out and do what I want with it. It remains to be seen whether the county building dept. will rule that my existing ahu is a "match" when they pull the permit for the condenser. Not being in the city limits, I know the "enforcers" are much less strict here in the county. I believe if the ahu is ruled "not a match", they'll also have to install a new ahu for me. If that's the case, I would hope they'd increase their cash-out offer, which could change my decision. Got a feeling the county will not have a problem allowing the new condenser with the existing ahu. While the Florida code does require "matched systems" when only the condenser is changed, there is a provision that indicates the entire system does not have to meet the code minimum equipment efficiencies, but should be returned to its original condition. In other words, if the components will work together at least as efficiently as the original system, it should be good enough.

eleven hundred in cash-out
    How many months worth of payments on a new system will that cover? Fair number, probably first year, no?

By then your savings will be building up enough to help carry year 2 on.

With an ECM fan ahu and multi-stage condenser you are likely to save quite a bit. Seems like trigger opportunity to me.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Originally Posted by Florida Joy
    Also said if I downsized from 3.5 ton to 3 ton, I would lose a lot of my terrific air flow.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    lmao. You are starting to really recognize and have fun when you hear the bs.
    I all but begged this dealer to re-review my house specs for his load calc to come up with 3-ton. Gave him my infiltrometer results, duct leakage, insulation values, etc., yet his proposal was in my email this morning for a 4-ton. He said yesterday he was "scared" to go with 3-ton "because of that back room with all the glass doors and the high ceiling", that he couldn't "guarantee" I'd be comfortable unless he put in a 4-ton. Said he had a 4-ton in his 2400 sf house and he pulled it out and put in a 5-ton because it would go up to 78* inside when it was 100* outside. Said he's always comfortable now since he changed it out a couple of years ago.

What size? Be interesting to see if your energy bills go down.
    3.5 ton, just like the old condenser. I would expect a slight reduction in cooling costs, but not much.

How much annual savings did you figure a Greenspeed would provide? I thought it was going to carry a fair part of it's cost.
    hvacopcost.com shows I'd save a max of $532 per year for cooling.... so, adding in an extended parts & labor warranty, it would take about 16 years to get my money back, more if you count the semi-annual maintenance contract the dealer would like me to sign (not counting any cash-out from the hwc).

I really think the $532 projected annual savings is a stretch. Maybe closer to $400, considering my total annual cooling costs are $1000. I could believe a 40% reduction, but over 50% is unlikely.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast