Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old Rheem - High Pressure Trips in Cooling When Overnight ODT < Setpoint

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ADillon View Post
    The home warranty company is not responsible for replacing your unit just because you want a more efficient one. Why would they replace the unit when the problem was an $100 fan motor? If you want a new, more efficient unit, then pay for it. It isn't the warranty co's job to upgrade your equipment based on efficiency. You already said yourself that they have paid out more than you have paid in so what else should they owe you? They repaired the unit. The repair was straight forward and inexpensive. That's it. If you want a new unit for the sake of having a new unit, then take some personal responsibility and pay for one. The warranty is there to keep you up and running not shell out for your every whim, jeez
    You are right, and I do agree. I did get money from them for a new dishwasher a couple of years ago when the cost of repair exceeded the cost of replacement. Also got a new hot water heater the year before that, as well as a new garbage disposal. So.... I was hoping for a little relief on the cost of a new HP system. Just hoping, not really expecting!

It's kind of like needing a new roof and hoping a hurricane will come along and tear it off so the insurance will pay for the new one.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Joy View Post
    Yes, the entire system (breaker box) was "condemned" as a fire hazard by the contractor, but because the other breakers were "still working" the HWC would only reimburse me for the "cost to repair/replace the failed component", which was the one circuit breaker.
    Just to update ADillon as to my "personal responsibility".... of course I paid to have the entire system replaced, but I didn't mind the HWC sending me a check (however small) to help pay for it.

Post Likes
    Joy, I hope that when you get a new system installed you do NOT use the home warranty service to work on the hvac.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Joy, I hope that when you get a new system installed you do NOT use the home warranty service to work on the hvac.
    You got that right! I'll be buying the 10 year factory parts & labor extended warranty, for sure, on a new system! And I'll be paying for annual maintenance to keep the warranty in effect.

Post Likes
    I understand the situation, The best coarse of action would be to plan a few years ahead and save enough money or take a home equity loan and revamp your electrical and hvac system. Leave the HWC in the dust where they belong, ultimatly this is your house and the HWC does not care about your comfort.
    I'm not sure my paying an independent contractor to condemn the unit would result in enough of a cash-out settlement from the HWC. I tried that when I decided to replace the entire Federal Pacific Electric breaker box when the breaker for the water heater wouldn't stop tripping. Yes, the entire system was "condemned" as a fire hazard by the contractor, but because the other breakers were "still working" the HWC would only reimburse me for the "cost to repair/replace the failed component", which was the one circuit breaker. So.... there'd have to be a significantly expensive "failed component" for them to cash-out the HP based on another contractor's diagnosis. And I'm not sure paying a contractor enough to "fudge" a compressor failure would be a good idea.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    I understand the situation, The best coarse of action would be to plan a few years ahead and save enough money or take a home equity loan and revamp your electrical and hvac system. Leave the HWC in the dust where they belong, ultimatly this is your house and the HWC does not care about your comfort.
    FYI - I wouldn't stress about how I plan on paying. The electrical has been changed out... I paid for it. The HVAC will be changed out... I will pay for it. The roof will be replaced in a few years... I will pay for it. You're out of touch with reality if you think a home equity loan is still an option for me, or 95% of homeowners, since the housing bubble burst in 2008. All I was trying to say is that a little help on occasion from the home warranty company is appreciated!

Post Likes
    FYI - I wouldn't stress about how I plan on paying. The electrical has been changed out... I paid for it. The HVAC will be changed out... I will pay for it. The roof will be replaced in a few years... I will pay for it. You're out of touch with reality if you think a home equity loan is still an option for me, or 95% of homeowners, since the housing bubble burst in 2008. All I was trying to say is that a little help on occasion from the home warranty company is appreciated!
    Good to here. By the way I am not out of touch just a little "touched." I have to be to deal with some of this insanity.

Post Likes
    Call him back when it happens again
    Are you a psychic, or what? Fan start capacitor changed on Wednesday. Now it's Friday and it stopped cooling about 2:30 PM. The fan is still running strong, but both lines are cool, as if there's no freon at all in the system. I had an Amana dealer over at noon to estimate a replacement and he remarked about how I had lots of cold, cold air coming through the vents. Also said if I downsized from 3.5 ton to 3 ton, I would lose a lot of my terrific air flow.

How can my system lose all the refrigerant between noon and 2:30PM?

Home warranty company is recalling the service tech and I guess I'll find out when he gets here.

Post Likes
    The compressor is probably not running or it could be out of refrigerent or any number of things, its time to replace.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=Florida Joy;14418451]Also said if I downsized from 3.5 ton to 3 ton, I would lose a lot of my terrific air flow.

QUOTE]

Classic!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    The compressor is probably not running or it could be out of refrigerent or any number of things, its time to replace.
    Fingers crossed for a blown compressor and a cash-out check from the HWC!

I'm so hoping this Amana dealer is "the one". He was referred by a friend who I had lunch with on Tuesday. She had her 18 SEER installed about 3 years ago, along with some added ducts for an enclosed screen room, and she's been very happy with the install and the annual service provided by this company. He was here from 10:30 until noon discussing returns, duct layout, airflow balancing, placement of the condenser, etc, etc, and measuring in preparation for his Manual J load calc. Can't wait to see his proposal!

FWIW, my friend's home is 2400sf with the enclosed room and this dealer installed a 4-ton, so it shouldn't be much of a leap of faith for him to do 3-ton for my 1827sf.
    Last edited by Florida Joy; 10-19-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: added FWIW

Post Likes
    HWC repair tech just left. Compressor locked up. Recommendations recorded on service ticket: "New comp or cond".

Waiting on a call from the HWC to discuss a cash-out settlement.

Post Likes
    Did he try to unlock it ? If not good you are better off.

Post Likes
    Did he try to unlock it ? If not good you are better off.
    No, he said that was NOT an option. He will recommend to the HWC to replace the entire condenser, not just the compressor, due to the condition of the coil.

Here are the details of my HWC coverage for A/C:

Covered: Central air conditioner, wall air conditioner and evaporative cooler, including condenser, compressor, evaporative coil, air handler, thermostat, refrigerant lines, leaks in accessible condensate drain lines, metering device (e.g. evaporative coil piston or thermal expansion valve).

If necessary, as part of a covered replacement, we will upgrade an air conditioner system to federally mandated S.E.E.R. standards.

When replacing the condenser of an air conditioning or heat pump split system, we will replace any covered component as well as modify the plenum, indoor electrical, air handling transition, and duct connections, as necessary, to maintain compatibility and operating efficiency as required by the manufacturer of the replacement unit, including the installation of metering devices.

Post Likes
    A 13 seer condenser on a 10 or 12 seer evaporator will not give you 13 seer. You have to have an ahri match to confirm seer. The home warranty co will settle with you but they will say they can have it replaced for x $s which is a lie and is about 1/4 of the actual cost it would be or less

Post Likes
    Wonder if they will send another tech (2nd opinion) before condemning entire unit.

That poor compressor could have been saved most likely if the true reason that the high pressure sw was kicking was found.

This happens everyday across the nation and I'm sure ive been the one to blame before.

I'm very grateful for all the senior guys on this site and everyone who puts it together so we can help "save those compressors "

Post Likes
    A 13 seer condenser on a 10 or 12 seer evaporator will not give you 13 seer. You have to have an ahri match to confirm seer. The home warranty co will settle with you but they will say they can have it replaced for x $s which is a lie and is about 1/4 of the actual cost it would be or less
    Yep, you got it right! They offered to replace the entire Rheem condenser with a 13 SEER Carrier R22 dry charge (said it's "compatible" with my ahu), OR give me a small cash settlement that would be about 1/4 of the cost of replacing the entire system with a 13 SEER.

Oh well, I've made my decision and will DELAY my investment in a more efficient system for the time being. Told them to go ahead and put in the 13 SEER condenser.... at least it will be NEW!

Thanks to all of the pro's on this forum for educating me. Sorry to cheap out on this, but I have a few other home improvement issues to deal with... need new Hardi-board siding, for example.

Post Likes
    Yep, you got it right! They offered to replace the entire Rheem condenser with a 13 SEER Carrier R22 dry charge (said it's "compatible" with my ahu), OR give me a small cash settlement that would be about 1/4 of the cost of replacing the entire system with a 13 SEER.

Oh well, I've made my decision and will DELAY my investment in a more efficient system for the time being. Told them to go ahead and put in the 13 SEER condenser.... at least it will be NEW!

Thanks to all of the pro's on this forum for educating me. Sorry to cheap out on this, but I have a few other home improvement issues to deal with... need new Hardi-board siding, for example.
    Maybe you can slip the hvac guy a couple of bucks to condem the siding too.

Post Likes
    Tsk tsk tsk, all the homework you've done and you're having them slam dunk a condenser in. Oh well, to be honest that's probably what I would have done if it was my house too...lol.

Post Likes
    Bad move
    Always here

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in