Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    as for the repair if they install a original equipment motor the worn out holes wont be reused so ask them to order a oe motor ,fan blade and have them replace the dual run cap . as for the roof mabey a 40 ft ladder is needed .then have them take pics of the repair as everybody has a phone with a camera these days

I am at my wits end and ready to do whatever it takes. The company is supposed to be coming back out today with a ladder able to reach the roof (they think). The fan motor is under warranty so I really want that company to fix it. I'm willing to pay the difference between the aftermarket motor and the Trane one, but we also need a fan blade. I have seen them online for less than half the price of what I was quoted by company #2, but am unsure if their quote included labor. Either way, not a real big deal. It's 4am, finally fell asleep sometime after 12:30, so this is night 3 of very little sleep. I am definitely going to have them take pics.

Catmanacman, you think I definitely have them replace the dual run cap? Is that the part that is sitting in the corner in the pic that others have said should be properly secured? I will ask for pics of before and after to be sure it is done correctly.

Now, I have been working on my cars my entire life, so am fairly handy. That being said, if they are not going to be able to fix this today, where can I go to get the parts I need? Fan motor last time was "1/3 thru 1/6 825rpm" and I definitely need a fan blade. I'm assuming (I know, I know) there was no other damage done by the blade otherwise I assume (I know, I know) any damage would be quite obvious. If I can get the parts, I'm fairly certain I can at least get this thing running.

On a side note, I am going to be contacting the news today to see if they can help in any way (they do this regularly) and also I have a best friend that is a real estate attorney. No real desire to litigate against my HOA, but they just are not acting and certainly not fast enough. Need to put a fire under their butts.

Any advice on where to purchase parts locally would be greatly appreciated (I know I can't purchase Trane parts since I'm not a HVAC guy/gal).

Thanks again to everyone for their insight and guidance.

Burning up

due to the difficulty of the repair because the location i would puton a new oe motor ,fan blade and run cap ,ask them to put on the run cap either a amrad brand or a mars if they install a supco run cap it might last a year .also i do not think you are in a position to bicker on price
    We really need change now

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrule View Post
    I am at my wits end and ready to do whatever it takes. The company is supposed to be coming back out today with a ladder able to reach the roof (they think). The fan motor is under warranty so I really want that company to fix it. I'm willing to pay the difference between the aftermarket motor and the Trane one, but we also need a fan blade. I have seen them online for less than half the price of what I was quoted by company #2, but am unsure if their quote included labor. Either way, not a real big deal. It's 4am, finally fell asleep sometime after 12:30, so this is night 3 of very little sleep. I am definitely going to have them take pics.

Catmanacman, you think I definitely have them replace the dual run cap? Is that the part that is sitting in the corner in the pic that others have said should be properly secured? I will ask for pics of before and after to be sure it is done correctly.

Now, I have been working on my cars my entire life, so am fairly handy. That being said, if they are not going to be able to fix this today, where can I go to get the parts I need? Fan motor last time was "1/3 thru 1/6 825rpm" and I definitely need a fan blade. I'm assuming (I know, I know) there was no other damage done by the blade otherwise I assume (I know, I know) any damage would be quite obvious. If I can get the parts, I'm fairly certain I can at least get this thing running.

On a side note, I am going to be contacting the news today to see if they can help in any way (they do this regularly) and also I have a best friend that is a real estate attorney. No real desire to litigate against my HOA, but they just are not acting and certainly not fast enough. Need to put a fire under their butts.

Any advice on where to purchase parts locally would be greatly appreciated (I know I can't purchase Trane parts since I'm not a HVAC guy/gal).

Thanks again to everyone for their insight and guidance.

Burning up

the bit of rust on indoor coil is normal. Did the fan blade damage the outdoor coil (loose refrigerant)? I cant see any damage from pic but its a miracle if it didnt do anymore damage.

Your barking up the wrong tree. The real issue here is that the company that manages the condos needs to get the roof access fixed. The fan motor was installed incorrectly, the blade is broken, the capacitor is unsafe, but all in all the main issue is that accessing the roof is unsafe. If you want to complain about anything, complain to your HOA. The contractor messed up and they appear to be attempting to fix it. If this is an incorrect assumption, then get a new contractor, but calling the news or a lawyer is not the way to fix this.

If you think you can just go buy a motor and slap it in you will end up with a finished product worse than what you have now. And yes the part costs more than what you found online because it is a Trane authorized, and properly sized. Every contractor that comes to your house has to make money. They have to pay the bills to keep their business open. That means the insurance, the tools, the gas, the people and the time. The price that gave you is fair. And to be honest, you cant get the proper part. That motor is a universal motor, they work in a pinch but they aren't the correct solution. You need to motor that was designed for that unit and without extensive knowledge and/or connections to Trane, you aren't going to get it.
    The only true knowledge is the pursuit of knowledge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12