OAT failure effecting the heating cycle?

Working on a Carrier M# 48HJ3006. The unit is on CCN. It is telling me there is a OAT sensor failure (reading -40). Is it effecting the heating cycle? I have to reset the unit to start up the heating cycle but it will eventually lock out again.

Check unit manual if available, if not talk to carrier. I believe those sensors have a variable resistance depending on temperature. OHM out the sensor and compare to charts in manual (or what carrier tells you) if the sensor seems accurate then the board has failed. If the sensor reading is way off then you need to replace the sensor.

Unit manual http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...8-50h-t-2t.pdf

The OAT sensor will only effect the economizer and low ambient cooling lock out. Is there a code for the heating module?

It there a premierelink controller in the unit?

i don't know much about this unit but, most units are rated to work down to -40*f ambient. if your sensor is reading -40* it might lock out the unit because its too cold.

A -40 reading on the ccn is either an open sensor, a disconnected sensor or possibly a bad input. This will not effect your heat stage at all. Is it a VVT system or conventional? If its VVT, heat will be based on your supply air. If conventional, it will be off your space temp sensor. Have a look at your occupied/unoccupied settings also.

yes, the preimer link is mounted on the duct below the unit.

That's what I thought too that the OAT is only for the Econmizer but it seem to be locking out the unit. And there is no code for heating module.

I just want to make sure that it is the OAT that is causing the problem and not the board too.

Quote Originally Posted by xxcels View Post
    yes, the preimer link is mounted on the duct below the unit.

That's what I thought too that the OAT is only for the Econmizer but it seem to be locking out the unit. And there is no code for heating module.

I just want to make sure that it is the OAT that is causing the problem and not the board too.
    When you say it locks the heat out is the plink in heat mode? Is there a fault code on the igc?

After some troublingshooting today I notice on the ccn that the SFS (supply fan status) is off. But the blower fan is running. I reset the unit. It goes through its normal heating operation but the cnn never detected that the fan kick in. How do I check my fan status? Before ruling that it is a bad board.

Is the fan status input even being used?

I got 24v at the board. I traced it to the unit. The wires go into this little gray box (not sure what it is call) that clamp around a blue wire going into the fan relay. I am pretty sure that is where my problem is. But then I moved it around and BAMN! the heatin kicked in and the cnn detect the SFS.