Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question quality of Rheem hvac unit???

We are replacing an 11 year old Goodman HVAC unit and are trying to decide what brand to purchase. The first contractor who provided us with an estimate told us to avoid anything made by Rheem or Ruud. He said that these units were not adequately redesigned when the minimum SEER rating was raised from 10 to 13. He explained that in order to achieve the desired SEER rating, they simply reduced the airflow through the unit, resulting in systems which do not adequately cool. We live in Nashville, TN, and it gets pretty hot here in the summer, so cooling is important. However, all the consumer sites we have visited rate Rheem/Ruud highly, and we have found no corroborating evidence of this contractor's complaint. Does anyone know if he has provided us with accurate information?

Im not even guessing where this is going. I was thinking it was holloween. everyone dressed as trolls

you can see it happening all the sudden ..... there coming out of the woodworks....... just look at their count numbers and what they are trying to prevoke.

I would get another opinion. I have installed this last
    summer dozens of Rheem ac units that all were at least
    13 seer or more, and had no problems. Here in Austin,
    TX we just had a summer of 30+ days above 100 degrees.

Rheem is a good product, as are many other brands.

What he may have been saying was that Rheem had a
    hard time stocking their suppliers with the new
    13 seer units, which was true.

rheem is pretty good, do you ever notice when working on them how old some of them are...guess they are built to last........

Leb - you're getting some whacked advice. No manufacture, including RHEEM can tweak CFM to earn SEER rating points.

In terms of good / bad etc ... there are a ton of variables to consider - let me save you a lot of time. Spend your energy seeking the BEST contractor, then take his advice.

The last home I owned had a Rheem AC unit that was over 17 years old. I never touched it. The Carrier unit parked next to it was not so lucky and was much newer. In fact the house I am in now has an Infinity that I had installed two years ago and has had the main board replaced, and will get a new compressor next week so that I can sell the home with a clean bill of health. The gentleman who will be doing the repair said that he recently replaced a Rheem AC unit that was built in the early 1970's and was still running.

The house I'm moving into next month has a 10 year old Classic X (10 SEER) Rheem. I plan to replace it with a 16 SEER Rheem when I install a new Rheem furnace. My only thought is that I'm wasting my money because the Classic X will likely last another 20 years.

I have repped Ruud for 15+ years and have found it to be a great line. Before choosing a brand consider the installer. Ruud/ Rheem takes a back seat to nobody. Especially with my backing. Regards, jpb
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

I've had good luck with rheem on residential units. Usually are tight(don't need freon every year). I installed one at my house 10 years ago and never had to add freon. Not thrilled with older commercial rooftops. heat exchangers dont seem to last but what does nowadays

let me transalate your dealers comments...

"The distributor of equipment asked me never to come back in their building or buy their equipment because they said I am a hack and they are tired of having to deal with my mismatching, non technical arse"

Well I live in Nashville and went with a Rheem product 4-5 yrs. ago. BIG MISTAKE and the 10 YR. RHEEM WARRANTY is WORTHLESS, IMO.

its likley you went with an icompitent contractor. Why woluld your machine be the exception to the rule?

I went with a well respected Dealer recommended by Rheem.

The problems we have are due to poor manufacturing and design of equipment, IMO.

The installer who wanted to replace our unit with a new one at no cost brought in the regional Rheem rep. from Atlanta to see out unit. This rep. refused to acknowledge out unit is a lemon, thus no replacement.

Fisher something smells bad ....
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast