+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SC77 Meter Reading Resistance Incorrectly

Post Likes

SC77 Meter Reading Resistance Incorrectly

Hi all,

I have a Fieldpiece SC77 meter that I have been using for a couple of years. I noticed today that when set to measure resistance the meter shows between 0.5 and 0.8 ohms with the leads shorted together. I have tried some of my other leads and have the same issue. I mean I know 3/4 of an ohm is not a big thing, but I can put long leads on my meter, or little 5 inch ones and get the same reading.

Is this something I should be worried about? I am probably only worried because a month ago the k-type thermocouple mode was reading a few hundred degrees inside a 40 degree refrigerator. I tried 4 completely different thermocouples and a new battery and nothing changed. A couple of days later it is reading the proper temperatures again.

I guess I am a little skeptical of my meter now.

Post Likes
    sounds like it's time for a replacement!

Post Likes
    Mine does funky stuff like that with the thermometer, if i turn it off and on or unplug and replug it seems to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Make sure you got fresh batteries. There should be a calibration pot on the circuit board if the batteries are good.

Post Likes
    OP, mine does the same exact thing. I've owned 2 SC77s and both have done it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    mine had dust in it took it apart and cleaned it out working good now. well see how long this lasts.

Post Likes
    You know I would post your issue in the public TOOL forum. Both Travis and Russell with Fieldpiece frequent that forum and are more than happy to assist you with anything. Or Drop either or both with a message...Travid is "Ault51", and Russell is "RussellHarju".
    They are great guys and probably just replace your meter if they deem it an issue for free...warranty or not, they really look out for us H-Talk guys.

As for the resistance compensation or internal zeroing...I find all my digital testing equipment does some erratic stuff when it is bitter cold or my batteries are giving up their last bit of breathe. I will usually take my DMM apart and clean the internal lead and thermocouple connections, they get gummed up with a film that causes some erratic readings...I do the same on my lead ends with a small round wire brush.
    My K-Type thermocouples don't last long, for some reason the wire gets damaged internally, I don't know...It works fine one moment and jiggle the yellow wire and then it starts to fart out some whacked reading...so who knows. Digital instrumentation is a wonderful thing, but sure can get aggravating sometimes, and even plant seeds of doubt only at the times when you need a reliable partner.

Post Likes
    You know, I have no idea why I didn't post this in the Tool forum! Is it possible just to move the whole thread there?

Post Likes
    Hit the triangle exclamation button on bottom of your post and ask moderators to move the thread to the tool section.

Post Likes
    Moved to tools and test equipment forum.

Post Likes
    Someone may have mentioned this already: Batteries and the fuse inside the meter... Get the FP fuse, not a generic replacement.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in