Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    104
    Post Likes

    Building Air Services, Inc.

    I just got a call from one of the managers for the Georgia branch of this company. It was pretty much a phone interview however, I would say it went pretty well. The guy said he's going to email some lady and she's going to send me info regarding interview info.

    Anyway, could someone who either works there or knows someone who works there tell me more about this company? Preferably the Georgia branch.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    up in the hizzy
    Posts
    1,706
    Post Likes
    If I was you, green and lacking field experience, I would take any job that was offered, good or bad and start building my career from there. guys like you are dime a dozen and not many contractor are willing to give (or take) a chance. dont worry about what Billy, Bob and Pete have to say about company X, if they offer you a job just be happy and thankful that they chose you and go there with no predisposition, do your best and start your learning path to become HVAC mechanic.

  3. Likes Tech Rob liked this post.
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    104
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    If I was you, green and lacking field experience, I would take any job that was offered, good or bad and start building my career from there. guys like you are dime a dozen and not many contractor are willing to give (or take) a chance. dont worry about what Billy, Bob and Pete have to say about company X, if they offer you a job just be happy and thankful that they chose you and go there with no predisposition, do your best and start your learning path to become HVAC mechanic.
    Ahh but I'm not as green as I used to be! After what happened to me with the last company I was with I just want to be with a company who will take care of its techs and will teach me the trade. I want to be an apprentice one day and obtain a license. I want to do things the right way and be able to fix. I am pretty relieved that I finally got a company interested, but all I'm asking is what to expect.. I don't want to be used.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    up in the hizzy
    Posts
    1,706
    Post Likes
    I was advised by former employees against accepting a job with my present employer,years later it turnout to be the best company I ever work for, before that I was working for "the best HVAC contractor in town", that was the word out there back then,ooh they were the best right, the best at whipping you like a rented horse, lying, backstabbing and the list goes on. I can tell you horror histories about bouncing paychecks, not getting pay prevailing wages, managers lying and making promises that they had not intentions to fulfill.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Posts
    1,609
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pmck94 View Post
    Ahh but I'm not as green as I used to be! After what happened to me with the last company I was with I just want to be with a company who will take care of its techs and will teach me the trade. I want to be an apprentice one day and obtain a license. I want to do things the right way and be able to fix. I am pretty relieved that I finally got a company interested, but all I'm asking is what to expect.. I don't want to be used.
    If you aren't even an apprentice yet, you are GREEN. You actually NEED to be used to knock that green out, be prepared to and embrace doing the crap work for the first 5 years of your career, it helps you learn and makes you a better tech. If you are being offered a job with a company as large as BAS this early in your career, it would be a big mistake not to accept it and learn all you can.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    104
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AIR PRO View Post
    If you aren't even an apprentice yet, you are GREEN. You actually NEED to be used to knock that green out, be prepared to and embrace doing the crap work for the first 5 years of your career, it helps you learn and makes you a better tech. If you are being offered a job with a company as large as BAS this early in your career, it would be a big mistake not to accept it and learn all you can.
    I am well aware that I will be a grunt before I ever make it to the lax life and I am totally prepared for it. My conflicts are...

    1. Would going to a bigger company or smaller company help me learn the trade the most? I want to be able to be a great piping and wiring guy too. I still lack in that aspect of the trade.

    2. Which would be best to go about doing an apprenticeship?

    3. Although my goal is to get into commercial, residential would be a great step in understanding systems and such. The way I see it is if I want to become a great service technician, I want to be able to know how to effectively install a system and based on the many times of doing that then i could be able to effectively Troubleshoot. Overall I want to be a well rounded mechanic.

    When I have the interviews, I'll be sure to ask about benefits and insurances and such. I still have to feel out what company would be best suited for my future in the trade and life.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    5,350
    Post Likes
    Building Air is a sub for the facilities company I work at. They do a lot of retail, both hvac and refrigeration and are located in multiple states and are a mulit million dollar outfit. I don't think you can go wrong accepting a job if it is offered.
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,407
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pmck94 View Post
    Ahh but I'm not as green as I used to be! After what happened to me with the last company I was with I just want to be with a company who will take care of its techs and will teach me the trade.
    It is YOUR responsibility to learn the trade, using the experience and exposure afforded to you by your employer. Nobody is going to hold your hand and take you from pre-apprentice to superstar ace mechanic.

    Quote Originally Posted by pmck94 View Post
    I don't want to be used.
    Hey... we are all prostitutes, we sell our bodies for money. Your employer doesn't care about your ambition to get a license, they are paying you to do a job.

    That said, take the job with BAS and make the most of your experience! And best of luck to you!

    The key to happiness is lower expectations.

    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

  10. Likes 2sac liked this post.
  11. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    104
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Building Air is a sub for the facilities company I work at. They do a lot of retail, both hvac and refrigeration and are located in multiple states and are a mulit million dollar outfit. I don't think you can go wrong accepting a job if it is offered.
    I think about it. The reviews on indeed aren't too welcoming

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    104
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    It is YOUR responsibility to learn the trade, using the experience and exposure afforded to you by your employer. Nobody is going to hold your hand and take you from pre-apprentice to superstar ace mechanic.



    Hey... we are all prostitutes, we sell our bodies for money. Your employer doesn't care about your ambition to get a license, they are paying you to do a job.

    That said, take the job with BAS and make the most of your experience! And best of luck to you!

    Oh definitely not. You have to be a go getter and learn everything for yourself. I completely understand that.

    I have some time to think things through.

    I just get more motivation talking to these employers on a weekend than on a weekday lol

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    5,350
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pmck94 View Post
    I think about it. The reviews on indeed aren't too welcoming
    Then don't go work for them

    Think about it. Most people who buy products or services tend to be content if the product or service works as it is intended to. Internet "review" forums tend to attract people unhappy with their choices, and/or people who have nothing better to do then to believe their opinion matters.

    You've done the right thing by asking on a trade specific forum. I urge you to ask on other trade specific forums as well. I also recommend you take the reviews you see on indeed and other job posting sites with a grain of salt. Companies as large as they are don't get that way because they are ****ty companies.

    If you are looking for someone to hold your hand thru your apprenticeship, then maybe a mom and pop shop would work better for you. If you are a go getter and someone who wants to take initiative, then relying on others is going to do more harm than good. The nice thing about working for a large shop is, if you don't know the answers there's a good chance someone does.

    Trust me. There are some smart people running BAS.
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    104
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Then don't go work for them

    Think about it. Most people who buy products or services tend to be content if the product or service works as it is intended to. Internet "review" forums tend to attract people unhappy with their choices, and/or people who have nothing better to do then to believe their opinion matters.

    You've done the right thing by asking on a trade specific forum. I urge you to ask on other trade specific forums as well. I also recommend you take the reviews you see on indeed and other job posting sites with a grain of salt. Companies as large as they are don't get that way because they are ****ty companies.

    If you are looking for someone to hold your hand thru your apprenticeship, then maybe a mom and pop shop would work better for you. If you are a go getter and someone who wants to take initiative, then relying on others is going to do more harm than good. The nice thing about working for a large shop is, if you don't know the answers there's a good chance someone does.

    Trust me. There are some smart people running BAS.
    Very informative and you do make your point.... I should take the reviews with a grain of salt. So we'll see what happens then, I get that I should accept any job as valdelocc said earlier.

    The only issue for me is the whole waiting process with the companies I have applied to.

    Looks like I'll be in GA sooner than later too

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    104
    Post Likes
    Anyone else?

    Just want to feel out what this company is all about

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.
Quality Home Comfort Awards