Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ok, so I guess I don't really understand what primary secondary piping is. Can someone give me a simple explanation? How would that be different than what I have?

As for the circulator running, I switched from the SETBACK mode, where the ciruclators run constantly, to the RMSETBACK mode mentioned above, which should at least shut off the circulator during night mode when there is no call for heat. Having done that, however,will that contribute to thermal shock since the water is not constantly circulating?

As for the WWSD, at least so far I am happier having no heat kick in unless it drops below 60 outside. My house seems to stay warm for a while with no heat. It also seems to be easy enough to switch it to a higher temp if and when I want the heat to kick in. I could see wanting it to be higher in spring. There is no problem switching back and forth on an as needed basis, right?

Primary/secondary---- imagine the supply piping was directly tied into the return of the boiler so it is pumping in a loop. This would be the function of the primary loop, simply pump in a circle. The secondary loop would be (2) "closely spaced tees" next to each other. These tees would tie into the circle so it has (2) openings towards the radiator piping. The system piping would tie into this. This would visually look like a figure "8" so each loop would pump in a circle sharing the water that they touch.. This allows a percentage of boiler supply water to directly flow back to the boiler return and keep the temperature up. I really hope this makes sense.

As for your thermal shock,,, please don't get me wrong. The way your system is piped is the norm for many installations and I don't want to scare you. I do however have a passion for boilers and do not accept anything less than doing it properly.

Switching back and forth will not cause any issues.

Just out of curiosity, above the boiler is an expansion tank I presume as it is out of the picture.it will connect to your air separator (big brass thing above the boiler), wa this replaced with a new tanks? I would guess that you had an old round compression style tank about 15 gallons in capacity.

OK, sounds like primary/secondary is not a big concern with the Buderus, and probably not something I can make them change now, at least not without paying for it. (Does Buderus say anything about primary/secondary? If they has a spec or something, then maybe I could get them to re-do it.)

Yes, I have two new expansion tanks. One is for the boiler and the second for the DHW because they said I have high city water pressure. I asked that they by put up in between the joists so my install looks "clean." (I actually made them move them cause they were just hanging off).

If your below the WWSD setting the heat only circulator will always run. I don't see a relay in the photo, so your heat circulator is wired directly to the Logamatic, therefore the circulator will always be on (constant circulation). In night mode the Logamatic will reduce the temperature of the water by the differential set inside the BFU sensor, there's a dial inside the room sensor. The room sensor doesn't "call for heat" it just tells the Logamatic what the temperature is inside the house and will adjust the boiler water temperature up and down accordingly.

R Mannino, according to the manual, in the "RMSETBACK" mode, which only works with the room sensor installed, the circulator shuts off during night mode unless the room temp drops below the set temp, or if the freezetemp kicks in. (I checked last night and it did seem to be shut off). I think it still runs constantly during day mode. In the "SETBACK" mode, which works with or without the room sensor, the circulator always runs, even in night mode. I am not sure which is really better -- I can see advantages and disadvantages of each -- but for now I have it in RMSETBACK mode.

The problem was that in the middle of the day it was maybe 58-62 degrees outside, but still 73 in the house, and the circulator was pushing maybe 80 degree water around.

BTW, that is very helpful to know about the dial in the room sensor. Is that how I change the night setback temp? Or do I do that on the control?

The factory setting in the BFU is 7 degrees F if I recall correctly. I changed mine to 4 F, 7 was a little too much for my house but every house and the people that reside in them are different.

I'll look around I have the BFU manual somewhere.

Found It

Sorry it took so long

Name:  HS2105.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  55.7 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12