Hydrokenetix Tank is leaking

When I built my house 17 years ago I had installed a Hydrokenetix hydro thermal storage unit. PPL my electrical supplier was discounting my electric but discontinued last year. Friday I discovered my tank is leaking and from what I can find out, the company is no longer in business. I was considering removing and fixing the tank but then would it just may start leaking at a different location in time. Did some research on the internet and it seems I would be better off removing that system and installing strip heaters in my plenium since I no longer get a discount on my electric. Comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is the best way to go? Other options? Thanks

electric strip is pretty expensive to operate.
    I don't know anything about your hydrokenetix system.
    would heat pump be an option?
    where are you located?

crazy user name..just sayin..

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    electric strip is pretty expensive to operate.
    I don't know anything about your hydrokenetix system.
    would heat pump be an option?
    where are you located?

crazy user name..just sayin..

best of luck.
    The hydrokenetix system is consist of a 400 gal water tank which is heated off hours to supply backup heat to the heat pump. The company is no longer in business and PPL (electric provider) no longer gives me a discount for having it. I live in Marysville, PA across the river from Harrisburg. User name is what I use for all of my accounts and was given to me by my ex wife. She claims I was never happy with anything....

An air handler with strip heat will be cheaper then what your Hydrokenetic would be since you no longer get the discount rate.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    An air handler with strip heat will be cheaper then what your Hydrokenetic would be since you no longer get the discount rate.
    Plus a lot simplier set-up in my mind. I wanted to ask about cost before switching and having my heating bills double.
    Thanks

Strip will cost less then your Hydrokenetics does, now that you don't have your discount rate anymore.

Every night, it uses at least 10 KW to reheat the water, just in case the stat would call for it to supply aux heat, weather or not it does. Strip heaters only use electric when they are called to supply aux heat.

Even with the insulation that those tanks have, it still uses a fair amount of electric to keep the water hot, and at 400 gallons of water, thats a lot of money to just have hot water sitting in the basement this time of year.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

ahhh..now I get the user name.

glad you are getting feedback from those familiar with your set up.

hope all goes well for you.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato