Confused Carrier Infinity filters - having to change every 2-3 weeks !!

Just had a lovely Carrier Infinity system (furnace and a/c) installed; it's GREAT.

THE PROBLEM: I am going through those filters every two and one half WEEKS !!! Granted, I smoke and have pets but is this "normal"? Those things are mega expensive. Just replaced one on the 11th; it's showing 20% use today (Oct 14).

Does this have something to do with "static pressure", or ... ? I surely can't be the only owner who smokes, has pets and dirty ductwork.

At $30-$35 each, this system is eating me alive.

Thanks in advance.

It's you not the filter. Clean your ducts and your house and you will be changing them less. You asked

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

What size filters are they?

yes it's the static pressures on the system. We had a customer who had an infinity installed and placed the returns and ductwork to their specifications and we told them the only way the system would work properly is if a glass window was taken out to enhance return to the system if the closet door was closed. They assured us it would happen. We got called out a few times to find it reading problems saying the filter needed changed. Each time we went out the closet door had been open and we were able to restart the system. It wasn't until they called and we happened to be across the street at another job where a tech went in and found the door closed, and the window still intact. So basically the system can read the time to change the filter based on the static pressures and makes the assumption that it's dirty. Have your systems ductwork checked and a complete system inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by cuchulain View Post
    yes it's the static pressures on the system. We had a customer who had an infinity installed and placed the returns and ductwork to their specifications and we told them the only way the system would work properly is if a glass window was taken out to enhance return to the system if the closet door was closed. They assured us it would happen. We got called out a few times to find it reading problems saying the filter needed changed. Each time we went out the closet door had been open and we were able to restart the system. It wasn't until they called and we happened to be across the street at another job where a tech went in and found the door closed, and the window still intact. So basically the system can read the time to change the filter based on the static pressures and makes the assumption that it's dirty. Have your systems ductwork checked and a complete system inspection.
    Errm, what do I ask my contractor to do, please? FWIW, I have an older home with 4-inch ductwork but was meticulously maintained by former owners. (The filters are the 16x25x4 - reads MERV8/MERV11)