Thread: Is this right?

Is this right?

While working on something in my crawl space today,I noticed this and it didn't seem quite right to me.

Name:  IMG_0769[1].jpg
Views: 300
Size:  43.3 KB

The duct on the right is from the furnace. What makes me wonder is the way it bends down before splitting off to the registers. The low spot isn't on the ground, but isn't off the ground by much. I checked the duct supports and they don't appear to have slipped or otherwise malfunctioned. Is there some reason they installed the ductwork with a low spot? Is this unusual? Is it something that needs to be corrected?

Thanks!

D.

Quote Originally Posted by dancaselr View Post
    While working on something in my crawl space today,I noticed this and it didn't seem quite right to me.

Name:  IMG_0769[1].jpg
Views: 300
Size:  43.3 KB

The duct on the right is from the furnace. What makes me wonder is the way it bends down before splitting off to the registers. I checked the duct supports and they don't appear to have slipped or otherwise malfunctioned. Is there some reason they installed the ductwork with a low spot? Is this unusual? Is it something that needs to be corrected?

Thanks!

D.
    Unfortunately it could be considered normal, which does not really mean it's right. It should NEVER be allowed to touch the ground. In my humble opinion it could be supported better, if it is not something you feel comfortable with tackling yourself, this should not be a real expensive repair for a contractor and while your at it have your system evaluated and tuned up.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

I never split the ductwork like that. Are you getting less airflow out of one of the registers?

Plus, I never run that much flex. Flex cuts down on the airflow.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    I never split the ductwork like that. Are you getting less airflow out of one of the registers?

Plus, I never run that much flex. Flex cuts down on the airflow.
    Airflow from the registers has been fine. There's no flex--not in the picture, or in the entire house. I'm not particularly fond of flex--and if I found it in my crawl space, it would be gone before the critters had a chance to destroy it.

D.

[COLOR="Red"]This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-16-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

looks like hard pipe covered with duct wrap & supported by metal straps.

the strap looks to be wrapped around the outside of the duct wrap on the farther
    part. on the closer duct strap it looks like strap is screwed to duct under the wrap..
    which is the way it should be done so it doesn't compress the insulation on the wrap.
    the strap that goes on the outside of the wrap was prolly added later.

Is there some reason they installed the ductwork with a low spot?
    could have slipped in time, could have been a reduction in the duct and ell curved down
    instead of straight or to one side of the other..
    its really a wag at this point.

Is this unusual?
    unfortunately..no. even if it was perfectly installed gravity works against it over time.
    as ducts get bumped around they shift. people critters crawl over or under them, ells
    aren't properly attached..stuff happens.
    ductwork shouldn't ever touch the dirt of the crawlspace.

Is it something that needs to be corrected?
    that is a hard call to make from pics. ideally yes..but it takes some time & care to do so.
    or you can end up with a real mess. been there..done that!
    most companies don't do this well when they have other jobs that are bigger & pay better.

the concerns would be ..to me, anyway..
    will it move without comming apart? is there much play in the movement of the duct?
    there are long seams where the hard pipe
    joins together and connections where the long pipes are joined.

in that perfert world..the ells would be screwed & mastic sealed, keeping them in place
    & in position. if the ells don't come off when the duct is moved..its usually ok..but
    if the duct has started to come apart on the long seams..its a pita.

you either take the section out completely..or replace or snap back together..mastic seal & screw
    back together.

if you unwrap it you get a better idea of what is going on under the ductwrap.
    but then you have to properly refasten the ductwrap with duct stapler & fsk tape.

call around to some local companes. this time of year before it gets cold for winter
    you may find someone to take on a small job.

is that a gray plastic under the duct that was used for???? vapor barrier..to slide
    around on while working under the house??

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Elite Heating and Air, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?