Thread: cleaning glass

Just wondering what products you service people are using to clean the inside of gas fireplace glass? I am currently using a product by Imperial called Kel Kem which seems to work reasonably well removing the products of combustion, as long as it has not been neglected too long. Do you do this as a courtesy to your customers on every service call?

I use the same product, I believe. And yes, I do clean the glass as a rule. It's a bit of a nuisance sometimes, but the customers always appreciate it. Value added!
    Question authority!

Any ammonia free glass cleaner seems to work as good as anything else. Windex with vinegar seems to work fine for us.

We use White off, works good.

Glass cleaner

I second the White Off. I have cleaned glass that looked like a milk jug with it with good results. Neglected glass will not come 100% clean, but it will make a difference.

Thanks for the replies, never heard of the product White Out up here, do most supply houses/fireplace distibutors carry it? I work for the local utility and we no longer stock any products for cleaning glass, not even KelKem any longer, so I now puchase my own to carry in my tool bag. It makes no sense to me that if I have the glass out to do any work on the unit, not to clean the inside for the customer, and most customers do appreciate it.Thanks again for the replies.

Wjite Out is pretty readily available at fireplace shops and fireplace distributors, in my experience. Frankly, I don't find that any products works any better than any other.

I clean the glass whenever there's a good reason to do so, probably 80% of the time.

<< I work for the local utility and we no longer stock any products for cleaning glass, not even KelKem any longer, so I now puchase my own to carry in my tool bag. >>

So what kinds of service do you provide on gas fireplaces, and how good are your utility repairmen at diagnosing problems?

About ten years ago, our Lords and Masters at the Washington State Utility Commission decided that gas fireplaces were "luxuries" and they didn't want utility repairman fixing the luxury appliances of gas customers. Pretty funny, I always thought!

Frankly, I and my fellow repairmen weren't well prepared for diagnosing and repairing fireplace problems. Just for openers-- no droplclothes were provided to protect carpeting, so you couldn't get serious about doing repairs anyway.

So, not that much of a loss, really. I'm far better at diagnosing fireplace problems than my former utility repairmen co-workers are these days.

Seattle Pioneer

I was waiting for a reply from you Seattle.....Our company is following suit with the rest of the major Utilities in that if the problem can be fixed quickly without replacing any parts(we don't carry many parts anymore)then go ahead otherwise have the customer call a fireplace service co. The same holds true for any other gas appiances we work on, about all the parts we carry now are a few ignitors, thermocouples and 1 or 2 thermopiles, that's about it.As far as trouble-shooting problems go it depends on the serviceman and whether or not they choose to use their volt meters and how to use them correctly!!!!!! Ever use toothpaste for cleaning glass?????? Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.