Thread: Pros and Cons of furnace features

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Pros and Cons of furnace features

I have a a small (980 sq ft) one story house on a slab, in Michigan. I also have a small budget, and a house that isn't worth much. I am replacing a furnace that is at least 40 years old. My contractor has given me two quotes that are within my price range, one for an 80% efficient, two-stage, variable speed furnace, and one for a 95% efficient single-stage furnace. Aside from the gas savings with the 95% furnace, how do these options compare in terms of comfort, quiet, repair expense? Any other considerations?

Post Likes
    What size? Dealers tend to way oversize in little houses. The 2 stage variable speed has the comfort advantage, the 95% will cost less to run though in a tiny house, that doesn't make a lot of difference. Your house is the same size as mine.

Post Likes
    Both are 60,000 btu furnaces. The 2 stage has max output of 31,200 in stage 1, 48,000 in stage 2. Single stage has max output of 57,000.
    Load calc showed I required 33000.

Post Likes
    Ask about a 40K 95%. Seems that would fit your needs quite well. 2 stage is nice but with a home that small, not sure whether it's a real benefit. IMO

Post Likes
    Yup, dealers like to oversize small homes. Get the 40K in a 95%. If you go with an 80%, then the 60K wouldn't be as far out of line but still big.

Post Likes
    Thanks - I'll ask about the 40K. But if it's just a single stage, will I be unhappy?

Post Likes
    depends on the brand and installation..... some are noisier than others.... a poor install will certainly make you unhappy
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    You have/want AC? House that small might be ideal for ducted or ductless minisplit heat pumps.

Post Likes
    No AC, and I don't really want it.

So how do BTUs translate into actual gas usage? Is it possible that the two-stage furnace, if it runs most of the time in stage 1, will actually use less gas than the one stage, more efficient furnace?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Whybwawian View Post

So how do BTUs translate into actual gas usage? Is it possible that the two-stage furnace, if it runs most of the time in stage 1, will actually use less gas than the one stage, more efficient furnace?
    You're worried about energy costs? House that small might be ideal for ducted or ductless minisplit heat pumps.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Whybwawian View Post

There's roughly 1000 BTU in a cubic foot of gas. Half the BTU but running twice as long uses the same amount of gas. It's about comfort. Longer run times equals steady temps instead of the on/off heat up/cool down cycle.

My house is the same size and construction. Our design temp is -2 and we went with a two stage 95% furnace that has 44K Btu on high fire. It only goes on high fire when outdoor temps fall in the -10 range and below. The 2 stage 95% is only a little more than the single stage,very little, so IMO go for a high eff. two stage.

Post Likes
    You can get a 2 stage variable speed blower in small models as well. Rheem has it in the -04 which is 45K.

But if you have a small budget and a house that isn't worth much, bare bones single stage 95 probably makes the most sense.

Post Likes
    Does anybody make a 40K 2-stage downflow furnace? Ducts are in the slab

Post Likes
    I would chose an 80% eff. WITH variable speed over a 95% with a standard motor. The variable speed furnace has lots of advantages, 1 being it makes the a/c work about 15% better.
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

Post Likes
    Rheem, Allied (guessing Lennox too), ICP, (guessing Carrier too), UPG (York brands) all have 40-45K 95% 2 stage variable speed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in