+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing rusted or broken bolts and screws

Post Likes
    As for extractors, I have tried a lot of different ones. So far these are the best I have used. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....mp;dir=catalog

Post Likes
    Broken link
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    gotta shock them too.....a few good swift whacks with a hammer will sometimes break the rust.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Broken link
    Try this.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    gotta shock them too.....a few good swift whacks with a hammer will sometimes break the rust.
    Yes. A good impact wrench, one that you can feather the trigger to just get a steady slow hammer action works wonders too.

Post Likes
    Left handed drill bits are must, X2 on Snap on extraction products (been through many Snap on works and lasts) and X3 or 4 on the tranny fluid.

the candle wax trick works, I also never done my self but a friend in the marine industry uses ''Mint'' on aluminum.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Post Likes
    Kimball-Midwest Penetrating Oil. Smells like cherries, works like nothing you've ever seen. I blew up the front end in my old mud racing truck once, in the process of taking that apart, I had to remove the spindles. The first one I had to ram with a forklift to remove. The second one got a little spray of the Kimball-Midwest stuff, it came off with a couple light taps from a 16 ounce hammer. The stuff is magic in a can.

In this field, anything I've snapped off, I've just put another screw in right on top of it. I only do residential though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Those look good. They don't look like you can break them very easily. The price is right, too.

You guys are coming up with some awesome suggestions that I will add to my toolbox. Thanks! Keep it up! Maybe we can write a book on the finer points and nuances of removing broken stuff without pulling your hair out.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Wow, interesting. Gonna have to remember all of these for the next time!
    Done a similar thing made for steam like a wax do that and some heat and works great

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    If you can not do it right, Why even do it at all?

Post Likes
    And for those times that a torch can't be used. Works great.

http://www.theinductor.com/index.php?m=41

Post Likes
    Every time I encounter a rusted bolt that I know is gonna be a ***** to remove I bust out the O/A. Heating AROUND the bolt until its just about cherry and IMMEDIATELY start trying to remove the bolt when the heat is taken away. I also make sure before I heat it up, that the wrench or w/e is going to fit perfectly snug on the head of the bolt.

If the bolt does brake or its a rusted stud like on a boiler header. I'll just go right to grinding it flat, drilling and tapping it.

I <3 my tap and die set.

Always use an oil too when drilling and tapping. When tapping, do one full turn and then back a half turn to break up the filings. When drilling, press down and drill slow. Just like a drill press.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeferman View Post
    And for those times that a torch can't be used. Works great.

http://www.theinductor.com/index.php?m=41
    That thing's sweet! such a good idea for use around rubber seals and bushings etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in