Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Any particular brand or kind of transmission fluid??? I think I'm going to try this out.
    I just bought the cheapest and it worked. I don't think it really matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's another that I've used with some success, particularly with fan shaft/hub assemblies.

Heat it up cherry red. Take a candle and smear it at the junction of the two parts.

Some of the wax will smoke off, but some will melt and flow between the parts, creating a lubricating film.

For broken bolts that are not too rusted in I like to use a left twist drill bit to drill them out. Many times just the drilling force will be enough to back to broken portion out. Otherwise heat and patience normally work.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Here's another that I've used with some success, particularly with fan shaft/hub assemblies.

Heat it up cherry red. Take a candle and smear it at the junction of the two parts.

Some of the wax will smoke off, but some will melt and flow between the parts, creating a lubricating film.
    That is a trick that I believe came from the military. I believe I read it in a field handbook having to do with tank tracks or something (my granddad was a Screaming Eagle Paratrooper in WWII, I was never fortunate enough to be in the armed forces).

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    That is a trick that I believe came from the military. I believe I read it in a field handbook having to do with tank tracks or something (my granddad was a Screaming Eagle Paratrooper in WWII, I was never fortunate enough to be in the armed forces).

GT
    I never knew where it came from.

I believe that I read it online somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

Wow, interesting. Gonna have to remember all of these for the next time!

In automotive repair, and later in boiler and pump repairs, I have used the candle wax trick many times with success. It gets sucked into the threads like solder.

Guys, if you heat the tapping instead of the bolt you will get better results. When you heat something with a hole in it the hole gets bigger. If you heat the bolt more than the tapped piece, it gets tighter until the temps equalize.

As for extractors, I have tried a lot of different ones. So far these are the best I have used. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....mp;dir=catalog

Broken link
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

gotta shock them too.....a few good swift whacks with a hammer will sometimes break the rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Broken link
    Try this.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    gotta shock them too.....a few good swift whacks with a hammer will sometimes break the rust.
    Yes. A good impact wrench, one that you can feather the trigger to just get a steady slow hammer action works wonders too.

Left handed drill bits are must, X2 on Snap on extraction products (been through many Snap on works and lasts) and X3 or 4 on the tranny fluid.

the candle wax trick works, I also never done my self but a friend in the marine industry uses ''Mint'' on aluminum.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast