+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing rusted or broken bolts and screws

Post Likes

Removing rusted or broken bolts and screws

Speaking of anything from an 8/32 screw to a 3/4" bolt. How do you do it? I'm on a job where we had a heck of a time getting a 3/8" bolt out of a tapped flange. My usual procedure is to heat the bolt up red hot and tap on it with a hammer while heating it, let it cool down, and soak it with a penetrant like CRC Screwloose. When it cools down, I get on it with some vise-grips, and it usually comes out without much effort.

On this bolt, we drilled the center and tried two different kinds of screw extractors. Broke off both of them inside the bolt. Had to use a dremel tool with a tungsten carbide bit to grind out the screw extractors, then drill and re-tap the hole. What a pain in the azz!

Another one we had trouble with was a little 8/32 screw holding a small terminal plate. The screw broke off, and I went to drill it out with a cobalt bit. I broke the bit in the hole. Had to drill that bit out with another one and re-tap the hole.

Anyways, I was just curious what sort of tactics the rest of you are emplying when you encounter a rusted/seized/broken bolt. I bought a set of Lisle screw/bolt/stud extractors today, and I was also wondering if anyone here has ever used them with any success???

Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Soak for 15 minutes with a penetrating oil. If it's a larger bolt I go for the impact. Hammer on it and either it comes out or it snaps. If it's a phillips or flat, I'll try it but shortly there after I'm looking for something to cut it off with. Patience, patience, patience! If its broke in a 4x4 box in a refrigerator I just rip it all out and start over.

Post Likes
    I've used the craftsman extractors on lots of things with great success when dealing with stripped bolts. These things were lifesavers on my old Mustang restoration.
    As far as the drill and screw in type extractors, Snap On were the only ones that could really hold up for me without breaking, especially the smaller ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Same tactics. Pen lube and heat normally gets it done. I have welded nuts onto broken studs. The intense heat and new gripping surface really help. Have used the bolt outs like the ones shown from craftsman and have had good luck with them. Never had much success with the screw in type extractors. It would always just seem to make me more pissed when the not so ez out would break.

Post Likes
    I've used transmission fluid mixed with nail polish remover and it works good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by caheiman30 View Post

Interesting combo. How did you come up with that? How does that combination work?

Post Likes
    Heat the bolt but don't let it cool, every time I have that problem I get it red hot and get on it right away and as it cools it gets harder and harder to turn.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Interesting combo. How did you come up with that? How does that combination work?
    I learned that from a instructor when I was in school, that's what he uses out in the field and uses when he is working on his cars and motorcycles on bolts that are rusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1KRR View Post
    I've used the craftsman extractors on lots of things with great success when dealing with stripped bolts. These things were lifesavers on my old Mustang restoration.
    As far as the drill and screw in type extractors, Snap On were the only ones that could really hold up for me without breaking, especially the smaller ones.
    I looked at that exact same kit when I was in Sears today. I'll pick it up next week. I don't like the "not-so ez out" drill and screw in type extractors either. The only time they have worked for me is when I use them on broken 1/4" NPT and 1/2" NPT pipe nipples. Every time I have used one on a broken bolt, it has broken before before the bolt did. I think I am officially done with those things.

Sounds interesting... Although I gotta admit that the idea excites my b.s. detector just a little. What is the mixture ratio? What about it makes it work better than other penetrating lubricants?

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Heat the bolt but don't let it cool, every time I have that problem I get it red hot and get on it right away and as it cools it gets harder and harder to turn.
    Yup, that works too. If you can get them moving while they're hot, then you're better off that way. Bolts do expand as they heat up and sometimes that can make them harder to turn when they're hot. The heat and expansion is what breaks the chemical bond with the material that surrounds it.

Post Likes

I was a boat mechanic for 15 years, seen thousands of broken bolts, this actually works (but I used acetone which is the active ingredient in nail polish remover).

Incidentally, these are the exact ingredients in Aerokroil... http://www.kanolabs.com/google/

It just needs a little time to get the job done. Been using this stuff like it's free for years. Keep it next to the Marvell Mystery oil...

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Post Likes
    Not breaking bolts is something that requires a certain touch and feel that only comes with experience. Experience only comes after you need it. I've found if you tighten the bolts a little before you try to loosen it, most of them come out easily. Sometimes you have to just go back and forth with it before it comes all the way out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Sounds interesting... Although I gotta admit that the idea excites my b.s. detector just a little. What is the mixture ratio? What about it makes it work better than other penetrating lubricants?
    He said a 50-50 mixture depending on the bottle that you are using. I would normally use WD40 but tried this and it worked alittle bit faster than WD40.

Post Likes
    He said a 50-50 mixture depending on the bottle that you are using. I would normally use WD40 but tried this and it worked alittle bit faster than WD40.
    Any particular brand or kind of transmission fluid??? I think I'm going to try this out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Any particular brand or kind of transmission fluid??? I think I'm going to try this out.
    I just bought the cheapest and it worked. I don't think it really matters.

Post Likes
    Here's another that I've used with some success, particularly with fan shaft/hub assemblies.

Heat it up cherry red. Take a candle and smear it at the junction of the two parts.

Some of the wax will smoke off, but some will melt and flow between the parts, creating a lubricating film.

Post Likes
    For broken bolts that are not too rusted in I like to use a left twist drill bit to drill them out. Many times just the drilling force will be enough to back to broken portion out. Otherwise heat and patience normally work.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Here's another that I've used with some success, particularly with fan shaft/hub assemblies.

Heat it up cherry red. Take a candle and smear it at the junction of the two parts.

Some of the wax will smoke off, but some will melt and flow between the parts, creating a lubricating film.
    That is a trick that I believe came from the military. I believe I read it in a field handbook having to do with tank tracks or something (my granddad was a Screaming Eagle Paratrooper in WWII, I was never fortunate enough to be in the armed forces).

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    That is a trick that I believe came from the military. I believe I read it in a field handbook having to do with tank tracks or something (my granddad was a Screaming Eagle Paratrooper in WWII, I was never fortunate enough to be in the armed forces).

GT
    I never knew where it came from.

I believe that I read it online somewhere.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

Wow, interesting. Gonna have to remember all of these for the next time!

Post Likes
    In automotive repair, and later in boiler and pump repairs, I have used the candle wax trick many times with success. It gets sucked into the threads like solder.

Guys, if you heat the tapping instead of the bolt you will get better results. When you heat something with a hole in it the hole gets bigger. If you heat the bolt more than the tapped piece, it gets tighter until the temps equalize.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in