Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

evaporator repair then hazardous air

Hi everybody!
    I need some help and suggestion. About a couple of weeks ago, our air conditioner was replaced with a new one. The technician changed the outside condensor as well as the inside evaporator.
    The problem is when he was trying to get into the evaporator which was inside the insulation box he had to open the alluminum and as well as CUT and MAKE A WHOLE of the INSULATION which
    covers the evaporator. As I was watching him making a whole through the insulation, I noticed the insulation looked so dirty and particles of DUSTS and i think FIBER particles of the insulation flew
    in the air. After the replacing of the evaporator was done, he simply put back the alluminum part and cover with a tape outside.
    Our new born baby is coming very soon. And I don't want to have some kind of cancer. I watched in youtube that insulation products are made of fiber and they are hazardous.
    I need help to fix this problem. Should I call the Warranty company and make another claim? What might be the best solution if I will have to DO IT MYSELF to fix it?
    Thank you in advanced!
    Michael

its your first child i assume,you got alot more to worry about than the insulation covering your ductwork.by the time you have your 2nd and 3rd kids you wont be so worrisome.

Plastic bubble. You in trouble.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

It won't hurt you or your baby, good luck with parenthood

The garbage we breath on a daily basis it more hazardous than what you witnessed in the coil compartment of the A/C unit. Think about it this way, that dirt came from the air AFTER the air filter.

Air is extremely dirty, especially when you run mass quantities through a small space like ducting.

It is my humble opinion, unless the compartment you mention was made in the '60's (unlikely) you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Unless your baby has respiratory issues when he/she pops into this world It would be safe to say all will be fine.

Congratulations on the baby. Also agree that the second child seems to do fine and they eat stuff off the floor.... our first child (now in college) was never even dirty it seems...

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

thanks to all the encouragement! some say sleep alot before the baby comes out. play as much as you can before she comes out. etc.. becoz once the baby comes out i'll be tied up. ^^

anyhow, concerning the dirty particles i guess i'm in trouble since the house is more than 50 years old.

one question, which comes first, air goes into the house first or it goes through the filter first then into the house? becoz i watched some video in youtube and this link gave me some information. http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-i...nditioners.htm
    air circulates into the house and then into the the insulation box where the evaporator change cold air to hot air or hot air to cold air. we've got central air. if the air goes through the air filter then into the house/rooms then i won't be that worried.
    thanks in advanced!

thanks to all the encouragement! some say sleep alot before the baby comes out. play as much as you can before she comes out. etc.. becoz once the baby comes out i'll be tied up. ^^

anyhow, concerning the dirty particles i guess i'm in trouble since the house is more than 50 years old.

one question, which comes first, air goes into the house first or it goes through the filter first then into the house? becoz i watched some video in youtube and this link gave me some information. http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-i...nditioners.htm
    air circulates into the house and then into the the insulation box where the evaporator change cold air to hot air or hot air to cold air. we've got central air. if the air goes through the air filter then into the house/rooms then i won't be that worried.
    thanks in advanced!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelttkk View Post

thanks in advanced!
    Well, this wont be an answer you like, but the first thing the air sees is the air filter.... I have seen people install grilles at the registers, don't make it right, but maybe an option.?

At this point I would recommend getting in touch with a reputable contractor and having them take a look see into your concerns.

One piece of advice, be specific on the concerns and maybe even get in touch with an environmental hygienist to eliminate any concerns as far as airborne contaminants. Specifically asbestos and molds. Not in any way saying you have these issues, just piece of mind.

There is also concerns if the house is over 50 with regards to paint, plaster and insulation.

Really don't think you have anything to worry about, but wouldn't be too much of a financial burden to remove all doubt, you can also hang on to this information in the event you sell the home.... People love that sort of stuff....

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

It's still unlikely you have any dangerous fibers at the ac plenum at 50 years old. The air is filtered before it is blown into house but if the insulation got in at the ac coil section it would not be filtered before it entered bc at that point it is past the filter. You are worrying too much about it, some duct systems have all the insulation on the inside of the duct and some ductwork is made of ridged foil backed insulation. Don't worry about it. If you want you can post some pics so we can look at the situation and see if there's anything that could be improved upon for better indoor air quality with your hvac system. Babies have really strong immune systems their first year of life. I'll second the sleep comment, you and your wife should sleep in together as much as possible because you won't get another chance for a looooooong time. Good luck on the joyful and frustrating journey of parenthood, its the best thing this side of eternity.

Moved from Tech to Tech, to AOP Residential Forum.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You and your wife are probably gonna bundle your kid up to look like the Pillsbury Dough boy when its 60 degrees outside and cause him/her to catch a cold from sweating so much from over dressing.

Probably by the time your wife has the baby, any fibers that are loose will have already blown into the house and have been vacuumed up.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

i'll take some pictures and post them in a few days. thanks for all the input! ^^

Name:  DSC05070.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  33.8 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast