Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Need help with final decision

First, thanks to everyone who has helped me get to this point. Your knowledge and assistance has been extremely helpful!

I have narrowed it down to Trane or Bryant and would appreciate your thoughts on the 2 systems.

My hose is as follows:

1,500 s/f single-story ranch over a crawlspace.
    Mid Missouri
    3 ton condenser - 9 SEER
    75,000 btu gas furnace

Trane contractor suggested the following:

XR15 2-ton single stage condenser - 16 SEER
    XV95 2-stage, variable speed gas furnace
    "matching coil"
    TCONT thermostat

Bryant contractor suggested the following:

127A 3-ton two stage condenser - 16.5 SEER
    96T 2-stage, variable speed gas furnace
    CNPV*3717A** indoor coil
    T6 Thermostat

As you can see the biggest difference I see if the condenser unit. Trane being 2 ton single stage and Bryant being 3 ton two stage. The Bryant contractor said a 3 ton two stage would serve me much better than a 2 ton single stage.....

As far as I know, they both did pretty much the same load calculations.

Any thoughts would be more than appreciated!

If a 2 ton unit can cool the joint, buying a 3 ton 2 stage is like buying a very expensive single stage. Might as well not let it run on high. Low is around 25,000 BTUs and should handle it assuming 2 ton is the load.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    If a 2 ton unit can cool the joint, buying a 3 ton 2 stage is like buying a very expensive single stage. Might as well not let it run on high. Low is around 25,000 BTUs and should handle it assuming 2 ton is the load.
    X2

I did want to add that of the 4 contractor visits, only Trane suggested a 2 ton. The others suggested a 2.5 ton. When I told them I wanted to go to a 2 stage, that is why he bumped it up to 3 ton because the 127A doesn't come in 1/2 ton increments.

Also, the price is almost exactly the same between the Trane and Bryant.

I would get a 2 Ton 2 stage if the load is 2 tons, you can always fix the house to match a smaller unit if it won't keep up. The temp that is used to do a load calc is a temp that the area only gets to about 10% of the summer so it would run in low stage saving you $ the other 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    I would get a 2 Ton 2 stage if the load is 2 tons, you can always fix the house to match a smaller unit if it won't keep up. The temp that is used to do a load calc is a temp that the area only gets to about 10% of the summer so it would run in low stage saving you $ the other 90% of the time.

So you are suggesting I ask the Bryant guy to install a 2 ton instead of a 3 ton? Just asking here, but why would 3 of the 4 say 2.5 tons if they all did similar load calculations?

The input numbers are left to the person inputting's discretion, most contractors are sooooo scared of under sizing that they will fudge the inputs which results in a larger size.

If the load calc came to 2.5, assuming that's about where your at, a 2 will get you there most of the time. MOST of the time. So it's really up to you. Are you gonna be ok with a 3-5 degree slide on a 95 degree day? What about 2 weeks of 100+? That's where you come into the equation. If 2.5 is the load 3 will work without the slide on a max design day but you will give up some efficiency. A 2 ton you will get max efficiency, and better comfort most of the time but. So you have to add your 2 cents now and make the call.

The input numbers are left to the person inputting's discretion, most contractors are sooooo scared of under sizing that they will fudge the inputs which results in a larger size.
    I know the Trane guy was adamant about sticking with a 2 ton unit. I questioned him several times and each time he said he was confident in his load calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    If the load calc came to 2.5, assuming that's about where your at, a 2 will get you there most of the time. MOST of the time. So it's really up to you. Are you gonna be ok with a 3-5 degree slide on a 95 degree day? What about 2 weeks of 100+? That's where you come into the equation. If 2.5 is the load 3 will work without the slide on a max design day but you will give up some efficiency. A 2 ton you will get max efficiency, and better comfort most of the time but. So you have to add your 2 cents now and make the call.
    I guess we need to throw away this years heat wave huh? This area gets hot and humid, but we probably average 15 days over 95 degrees during a "normal" summer. So considering the fact that the Trane rep (Who I had a lot of respect for as he was extremely knowledgeable) was adamant about 2 tons, maybe I should listen to what he was preaching and go with the 2 ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Zomby View Post
    I know the Trane guy was adamant about sticking with a 2 ton unit. I questioned him several times and each time he said he was confident in his load calculations.

I guess we need to throw away this years heat wave huh? This area gets hot and humid, but we probably average 15 days over 95 degrees during a "normal" summer. So considering the fact that the Trane rep (Who I had a lot of respect for as he was extremely knowledgeable) was adamant about 2 tons, maybe I should listen to what he was preaching and go with the 2 ton.
    Have a blower door test performed just so you know how much and where you could improve and if the 2 ton won't get it done, which I feel it would, then you can go about improving the home until it will get the job done whether its 80F or 100F. Even if it won't keep it 74 when it's 95F outside the humidity will be so low from continuously running it won't feel uncomfortable at 78F inside

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-14-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: non AOP Member

+1 !!

Have a blower door test performed just so you know how much and where you could improve and if the 2 ton won't get it done, which I feel it would, then you can go about improving the home until it will get the job done whether its 80F or 100F. Even if it won't keep it 74 when it's 95F outside the humidity will be so low from continuously running it won't feel uncomfortable at 78F inside
    +1

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast