+ Reply to Thread

Thread: knee pain

Post Likes

knee pain

i been doin this alot of years and my knees have taken a beating.a shot of cortisone in each knee helped alot,it was amazing,till i changed out two split systems this week,one in a attic the other in a basement,now my knees are right back like they were,my point is while your still young and plan on working in this field for a long time then you should either wear knee-pads or get something to kneel down on,i wish i had started years ago,now i have to use a horse saddle pad on the ground,no more kneeling its lay down and roll around or sit.im tellin you if your still young take care of your knees! you will pay when you get old like me.

Post Likes
    thats why i have my milk crate with me to sit down lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo86 View Post
    thats why i have my milk crate with me to sit down lol
    Agree with this... I have used a short (4 gal) inverted paint bucket for years.

Someone told me replacement knees do not work well kneeling down all the time (as we do)... anyone know about this?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I carry around a garden pad to kneel on... cant wear knee pads, they bug me.

Post Likes
    Started out as resi installer in the 80s and being young and imortal I nearly destroyed my knees, shoulders, and back. Got out of the crawls and attics and started running service. Still see the occasional attic but no crawls for me!! You are exactly rite. Take care of your bodies young men/woman it's the only one you got and this trade can and will tear it up.

Post Likes

Stretch

Before I decided to join the family business, I got a degree in Kinesiology. Biggest advice I could give anyone... STRETCH! Even if you just spend 2 minutes stretching while putting on your boots, you'll notice a difference at the end of the day

Post Likes
    Stretching is key. I got the heck out of residents for this exact reason. I don't find myself on my knees nearly as much in commercial. More crouching. Though...

Post Likes
    I carry a set of san francisco slippers in my tool bag, makes a huge difference
    I just throw them on the ground where I'm working I don't actually wear them.

Post Likes
    I just started carrying a tripod seat from bass and pro. Works great and has a bag with a shoulder strap . I'm 6'2 so it could be a couple inches taller but it beats kneeling .

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    well im glad im not the only broken down and griss-eley old ac man on here/.I went back and got another shot in each knee this afternoon so far not much relief i hope it kicks in soon iam gonna fish all week next week.Fort Walton here i come.I wanna get my Pic taken with the Destin Fishin Rodeo Queen this year.

Post Likes
    I use a kneeling pad or one of these.

http://www.diyhousehelp.com/2012/07/...ng-step-stool/

You're off your knees. It's lightweight but it's able to hold 200 lbs. I sometimes use it as a step stool.

Post Likes
    Cortisone kicked in I'm almost to Fla gonna have a great week! Hope the a.c. works in the condo! If not I'll be lookin for someone in ft Walton/Destin for parts.or if you wanna take me fishing that would be good too!

Post Likes
    Nice to know I am not the only broken hvac dude on here. Bad knees are coming if you don't heed the ops warning. Cortisone stopped working for me after years in my knees,shoulders and hands. I also have carpal j$$k off syndrome. Nice to know I will probably be doing this another 20 years or so.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    I spoke too soon while unloading car I missed stepped right knee out again I'm screwed and crippled,left knee will have to carry me now, I need recommendation for a/c service in ft Walton,asap

Post Likes

Wink Hvacnc

Years ago when I used to install units, I would use styrofoam that heat strips came with for trane units. Used styrofoam to kneel down and install heat strips and wire. Boss looked at me like I was crazy the first few times he saw me use it. Then guess what....... He started to use styrofoam to kneel down and wire up unit if he was with us on job.

Post Likes
    When I was in school, my teacher said the same thing about getting knee pads. First thing I bought was knee pads. My knees are already a little rough from a few sports injuries when I was young, so I try to keep them happy.

Post Likes
    My boss looked at me like I was crazy cause I wanted the pants with the built in knee pads. Nothing like carrying up the Garden pad on the roof stand up wind takes it LOL. My knees pop already from the years of changing 18wheeler tires.

Post Likes
    Lol. Freaking wind...

Post Likes
    very true well stated

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in