Thread: How important is it to "match" system units?

Post Likes

How important is it to "match" system units?

How important is it to match say the high end furnace with the mid level condenser unit of any brand? Or vise versa?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby View Post
    How important is it to match say the high end furnace with the mid level condenser unit of any brand? Or vise versa?
    If ones wishes to have an effective, efficent and reliable operating system, matching is extremely important.

If not, in contrast, I guess one might elect to operate an HVAC system similar to having a 4-cylinder engine in an 18-wheel truck.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    I was afraid of that.

So buying a high end furnace and a mid level AC is not going to work for me I guess. I should just give up because this is all too dang difficult.

Post Likes
    Contractor knows how to match furnace, blower and A/C coil for an effective combination. No need for a high end A/C if one lives in a climate with 6,000 Heating Degree Days and 1,200 Cooling Degree Days.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    A high end furnace with a mid level A/c is fine.

Post Likes
    Absolutely. You can put the nicest furnace on a relic A/C and be fine. Key is that the A/C outside matches the indoor coil and the furnace can move the appropriate CFM for the A/C capacity. There are many areas in the northern 1/2 of the US where a basic 13 SEER A/C is all that is needed but a 95% high end furnace is desirable. Dealers on here love to push the top of the line everything whether it makes sense for the homeowner asking for advice or not.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Contractor knows how to match furnace, blower and A/C coil for an effective combination. No need for a high end A/C if one lives in a climate with 6,000 Heating Degree Days and 1,200 Cooling Degree Days.
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Absolutely. You can put the nicest furnace on a relic A/C and be fine. Key is that the A/C outside matches the indoor coil and the furnace can move the appropriate CFM for the A/C capacity. There are many areas in the northern 1/2 of the US where a basic 13 SEER A/C is all that is needed but a 95% high end furnace is desirable. Dealers on here love to push the top of the line everything whether it makes sense for the homeowner asking for advice or not.
    Thank you! I was led to believe that matching units from the same series was necessary.

Post Likes
    "Series" names are for marketing! There is some common sense like don't put a "16 SEER" on a PSC motor as you'll be far from 16 SEER with it but no reason not to get an A/C appropriate for your location with a top of the line furnace.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in