Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    71

    How important is it to "match" system units?

    How important is it to match say the high end furnace with the mid level condenser unit of any brand? Or vise versa?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SW FL
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby View Post
    How important is it to match say the high end furnace with the mid level condenser unit of any brand? Or vise versa?
    If ones wishes to have an effective, efficent and reliable operating system, matching is extremely important.

    If not, in contrast, I guess one might elect to operate an HVAC system similar to having a 4-cylinder engine in an 18-wheel truck.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

    Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    71
    I was afraid of that.

    So buying a high end furnace and a mid level AC is not going to work for me I guess. I should just give up because this is all too dang difficult.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SW FL
    Posts
    6,271
    Contractor knows how to match furnace, blower and A/C coil for an effective combination. No need for a high end A/C if one lives in a climate with 6,000 Heating Degree Days and 1,200 Cooling Degree Days.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

    Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,875
    A high end furnace with a mid level A/c is fine.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    34,047
    A high end furnace with a mid level A/c is fine.
    Absolutely. You can put the nicest furnace on a relic A/C and be fine. Key is that the A/C outside matches the indoor coil and the furnace can move the appropriate CFM for the A/C capacity. There are many areas in the northern 1/2 of the US where a basic 13 SEER A/C is all that is needed but a 95% high end furnace is desirable. Dealers on here love to push the top of the line everything whether it makes sense for the homeowner asking for advice or not.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Contractor knows how to match furnace, blower and A/C coil for an effective combination. No need for a high end A/C if one lives in a climate with 6,000 Heating Degree Days and 1,200 Cooling Degree Days.
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    A high end furnace with a mid level A/c is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Absolutely. You can put the nicest furnace on a relic A/C and be fine. Key is that the A/C outside matches the indoor coil and the furnace can move the appropriate CFM for the A/C capacity. There are many areas in the northern 1/2 of the US where a basic 13 SEER A/C is all that is needed but a 95% high end furnace is desirable. Dealers on here love to push the top of the line everything whether it makes sense for the homeowner asking for advice or not.
    Thank you! I was led to believe that matching units from the same series was necessary.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    34,047
    "Series" names are for marketing! There is some common sense like don't put a "16 SEER" on a PSC motor as you'll be far from 16 SEER with it but no reason not to get an A/C appropriate for your location with a top of the line furnace.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event