brazing

Thread: brazing

brazing

i used to use 15% silver brazing rod, i started with this company they supply us with 5% rod. for some reason the other day i was sweating 1-5/8" copper line for some reason when the joint starts to cool i get these fine little pin hole in the joint. even if i load it up, but i think it even happened on a 7/8" copper pipe.
    im trying to figure out why. is it because im over heating and causing it to burnm the solder rod material and break down??? but i dont think so because the pipe wasnt red hot if so then ill agree with over heating,, any input?

Anything less than 15%, we use a flux, like Easy Flo to help move the material around. The more phosphorus and less silver, the higher probability of liquation will take place, and this is probably what you are seeing. We rarely use anything less than 15%, especially on larger diameter piping. Could simply be that the brazing material is thinning out so much at the joint that the nitrogen, I would hope you are using, is blowing out your joint?

Tell your company that they may think they are saving a few bucks by dropping to 5%, but are going to loose the savings in labor and probable leaks in the long run.

Have you tried turning down the heat a little?

i agree with the "turn down the heat" idea.we also use 5% at work and it is nasty to use.make sure your flame is nice and even,not oxidizing and jumpy.clean the copper well with sanding cloth.

I dont like to use anything less than 15%

I've recently started buying 6% bc its so much cheaper than 15%. I use 15 on >7/8 but havnt had any problems with it yet, it does liquefy a lot easier and I probly use more per joint bc its so watery but havnt had any more leaks than usual

You can buy 15% on Ebay cheap. I just bought some Harris for $68 per lb shipped.

i use flux on all my joints. plus it helps out a bunch. i use nitro when brazing especially on larger pipe that requires more heat and more flaking. i guess i have to get used to the 5% maybe i was spoiled with 15%
    i dont want to tell the boss anything because im the new guy ima stay quiet for a while.

We're all shootin in the dark here because its difficult (for me anyway) to give you advise without having actually seen you braze. What re your torch settings? What size tip are you using? what size pipe are you brazing? I would advise you to seek the advise of another tech at your company whom you know brazes well, and ask them to watch you braze a joint and critique you.

Quote Originally Posted by socotech View Post
    I dont like to use anything less than 15%
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    i use flux on all my joints. plus it helps out a bunch. i use nitro when brazing especially on larger pipe that requires more heat and more flaking. i guess i have to get used to the 5% maybe i was spoiled with 15%
    i dont want to tell the boss anything because im the new guy ima stay quiet for a while.
    Try turning the nitro down.....

If you're getting pinholes, it might be too much pressure.

Practice practice practice. It's no different then when you started out on 15%. Just gotta figure it out and do it. We can tell you and someone can show you, good pointers here already, but in the end you just gotta do it. In 6 months it will be what you are used to and you'll be fine. Good luck.