Lennox G23 System 13 years old - Heat Exchanger

I just had someone come out to do a Fall tune up. They told me that it appears that my heat exchanger is bad ... showed me a tape with "XAIR % = 137.5" to justify that. They had just put in a blower motor a few days ago and offered to replace the furnace and give me credit for the blower repair. The guy doing the blower motor repair did not have testing equipment with him on that day.

The outside condensor unit is only 5 years old (15 SEER with the new refrigerant) and I was hoping to get a few more years out of the furnace and then change both units out with a new system downstream.

Does it make sense to do a heat exchanger repair in my case? Is it under warranty with Lennox still after 13 years? I was told that it was not. But I see that on the new system offered to me that the Heat Exchanger warranty is 20 years.

Looking for some good advice from an expert.

Thanks!

I may be mistaken but I think the G23 had a 20 yr heat exchanger. You will still have to pay for labor if the part is under warranty and it may not be too much more to just replace the furnace, especially if the part is out of warranty. Post the complete model and serial number and maybe one of the Lennox guys on here can check to see if its still under warranty.

The G23 does have a 20 year heat exchanger warranty. If it is cracked those are very easy to change,takes less than an hour and a half from start to finish. With that said... A 137 excess air doesn't prove a cracked heat exchanger. It could simply be underfired. They should remove the panel around the inducer and/or pull the blower and look at the exchanger.

I agree, they should do a visual check before trying to sell you a new furnace.

Get a 2nd opinion. Excess air reading does not "read" a cracked heat exchanger! You're getting the "bums rush"!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimdavisjr View Post
    I just had someone come out to do a Fall tune up. They told me that it appears that my heat exchanger is bad ... showed me a tape with "XAIR % = 137.5" to justify that. They had just put in a blower motor a few days ago and offered to replace the furnace and give me credit for the blower repair. The guy doing the blower motor repair did not have testing equipment with him on that day.

The outside condensor unit is only 5 years old (15 SEER with the new refrigerant) and I was hoping to get a few more years out of the furnace and then change both units out with a new system downstream.

Does it make sense to do a heat exchanger repair in my case? Is it under warranty with Lennox still after 13 years? I was told that it was not. But I see that on the new system offered to me that the Heat Exchanger warranty is 20 years.

Looking for some good advice from an expert.

Thanks!

I have noted that the G23 heat exchanger has a 20 year warranty and that it should take around 90 minutes labor cost to replace it. Also, that the XAir % does not necessarily mean that the Heat Exchanger is cracked. I will have another company come out to give me a second opinion. This is an excellent way to get honest input from trained craftsmen. Gentlemen, I appreciate your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jimdavisjr View Post
    I have noted that the G23 heat exchanger has a 20 year warranty and that it should take around 90 minutes labor cost to replace it. Also, that the XAir % does not necessarily mean that the Heat Exchanger is cracked. I will have another company come out to give me a second opinion. This is an excellent way to get honest input from trained craftsmen. Gentlemen, I appreciate your advice.
    If your heat exchanger is bad then u will spend more money than it's worth to replace it then to just replace the entire furnace. Even if the heat exchanger is under warranty no company will come replace it and just charge you a couple of hours labor. The minimum usually charged is at least 8 hours labor

Quote Originally Posted by Bsmith816 View Post
    If your heat exchanger is bad then u will spend more money than it's worth to replace it then to just replace the entire furnace. Even if the heat exchanger is under warranty no company will come replace it and just charge you a couple of hours labor. The minimum usually charged is at least 8 hours labor
    8hrs to replace a heat exchanger? That furnace is pretty easy to change the hx takes 1-2hrs

Quote Originally Posted by Bsmith816 View Post
    Have to disagree with that. We charge actual labor plus shipping cost of the exchanger,as does most every company in the area. Eight hours,or even 4 for that furnace, is just a crazy excessive charge.