Post Likes

Alerton Front End - BCM PWS-ETH-MS/TP-MDM

Just pulled this out of a building during a controls integration. Fully works and ready to go.

$3,500 OBO

Message me
    Thanks

Post Likes
    Hi,
    I have installed 20 BCM-Eth devices & looped together using MSTP & connected to a JACE where I want to discover all 20 BCM-Eth devices over MSTP trunk. Disabled the Ethernet & IP network for BCM-Eth device in order to loop & connect those devices using MSTP.
    In my current setup, I can only discover 6 BCM-Eth devices in a JACE over MSTP & after adding the 7th device, the rest of the devices are getting offline/online very frequently.
    I am unable to add more than 6 devices & moreover the point discovery operation also gets failed.
    Please let me know whether is this the feasible scenario to test since I didn’t find any information about this scenario over the internet.
    Thanks

Post Likes
    I'm surprised you discovered any. Typically JACEs don't like other front ends or other JACEs to be on the same MSTP trunk. It creates a bad loop as they all want to be the master. Now I could be wrong but I've tried it in the past and the outcome is never favorable. I have been told that the BCM-ETH can act as a MSTP router but I never tested.

20 BCMs is a good size system. If they were to be all integrated with a Tridium product I would recommend a JACE7 at minimum and through BACnet IP or Ethernet (no point limitation). There will be alot of points coming in and I don't think a JACE6 could handle it all. But really this size system should be integrated into a Niagara server on a PC. The point cost will start to rise as the initial license limits to 5000 points.

I don't know the Alerton product that well but if they do permit multiple BCM-Ethernet communicating on a MSTP trunk you could add an MSTP to IP converter ($400) and plug it into the 2nd LAN port of the JACE. This way it would solve the need to run new Ethernet to each BCM. But you would still need the BACnet IP license for the JACE. You can easily test this out with a laptop running workbench first (not to mention the converters are handy to have when evaluating a system integration). If the JACE is a 6 then I still think the system is too large for it to handle. I have installed MANY JACE6s and the performance is not like a JACE7. I have a JACE7 bringing in around 600 Delta Controls V3 and V2 VAVs and DSC/DCU controllers through BACnet IP and 8 Modbus IP power meters (no MSTP trunks) and it doesn't skip a beat including running graphics (no trends as it is integrated into a tridium server).

I'd be interested in seeing the network diagram and how many modules are connected to each BCM-ETH and field devices. If the JACE can do it your still in for issues as each MSTP trunk could handle 45 devices max before it starts acting up. You would need to add extra COMM trunks to the JACE.

Post Likes
    Thanks for your input.
    I haven't connected any field devices to BCM-Eth. I am trying to add the BCM-Eth device as a Bacnet device (without any field device connected to it) & finally want to discover all of them into JACE.
    All 20 BCM-Eth device looped together using MSTP port.
    I am assuming the JACE 6 can handle at least discovery of 20 devices (apart from point discovery from each device).
    The main issue is not able to add more than 6 BCM-Eth devices.
    Thanks

Post Likes
    I didn't find any info on this scenario over the internet (Google).....is there any way to simulate the MSTP trunk using BCM-Eth??