Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Had Contractor Visit Today

Post Likes

I Had Contractor Visit Today

I had a contractor come out today. He spent over 3 hours here and about two of those hours were measuring and calculating my home. He went into the attic and crawlspace, inspected both the inside and outside units and did some tests on each. I was very impressed with not only his knowledge, but also at the end he was not pushing me to buy anything.

I was kind of shocked that when he ran the numbers for my outside unit, it came back as not only a 3 ton unit (I thought it was a 2 ton) but he also informed the unit was built in 1988 (My house was built in 1998) So I guess the builder slapped an old unit in.

The good news is both my attic (30-R) and walls (14-R) insulation was fine.

The interesting news in after all his calculation/measuring he said my current AC unit is too big and I should go down to a 2 ton unit. The current gas furnace is 75,000 btu at 80%. He suggested to downsize that as well to 60,000 btu and of course the more efficient 97%.

I know we can't talk price here, but I think I was given a very good price for a Trane 4ttr5024and a Trane XV95.

Thoughts?

Post Likes
    Sounds like he was pretty thorough. Still a good idea to get at least 2 contractors to figure and quoat 3 is better.

Post Likes
    If he diid all that and you feel comfortable with the price and the company sign the contract. Could have also made a mistake on the year of the old unit if you post the serial number someone will know what year it is . The unit he is proposing is a very nice unit

Post Likes
    Did he do a partial home energy efficiency audit; sounds like he knows how to test the Btuh output of the A/C system, something most Techs need to learn to do for the customer.

I'd say he is well above most in his skill level with an attitude that we like to see, without the high pressure selling routine...

He left you a better informed much more knowledgeable person; that can be worth a lot more than most customers realize...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Did he do a partial home energy efficiency audit; sounds like he knows how to test the Btuh output of the A/C system, something most Techs need to learn to do for the customer.

I'd say he is well above most in his skill level with an attitude that we like to see, without the high pressure selling routine...

He left you a better informed much more knowledgeable person; that can be worth a lot more than most customers realize...
    X2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Sounds like he was pretty thorough. Still a good idea to get at least 2 contractors to figure and quoat 3 is better.
    The problem with is you can always find a hack to do do a crappy job cheaper

Post Likes
    Post brand model and serial number of your outdoor unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    If he diid all that and you feel comfortable with the price and the company sign the contract. Could have also made a mistake on the year of the old unit if you post the serial number someone will know what year it is . The unit he is proposing is a very nice unit
    See below.

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post

Yes, I got a lot of education from this forum so I went in with my eyes pretty much wide open. This forum has been instrumental in my thought process.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Post brand model and serial number of your outdoor unit.
    This is the informantion he left me on my old outside unit:

14 years old
    3 ton
    SEER - 9.1
    Model BRCS0361BD

Unsure of the manufacturer, thought Goodman or Airpro?

He said it was 15 years old, but then got a call from the person who did the search and came back with the built in 1988 and not 1998.

Post Likes
    Can anyone tell me what the condensing unit series is? I am thinking it is an XR13 or XR15

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the condensing unit series is? I am thinking it is an XR13 or XR15
    XR15

Post Likes
    Unless you live far up North I have to question the need for a 60,000BTU furnace with only a 24,000BTU cooling load.
    I do agree with others though, you found your contractor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    XR15
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Unless you live far up North I have to question the need for a 60,000BTU furnace with only a 24,000BTU cooling load.
    He said the next unit was a 40,000 BTU would be too small.

Post Likes
    Sounds like you have find a good contractor that has done all the work to ensure the system will be sized proper for your home.

If he impressed you with his knowledge of the system, ductwork and is sure the new systems that he quoted will provide you with the comfort you want. Then i would suggest sign the contract but make sure that it is a detailed estimate explaining what all he and his company will do for $$$$.

If you do seek out other estimates make sure the other contractors do all the work to determine the proper size system for your home!

Any contractor can cut his price to get the work but did he truly earn your business? If he goes off what the contractor you were impressed with load cal. Then the other companies can easily cut the price as they didn't spend time doing all there homework. So they can cut his price down because they used his info. To do so!

Again if he impressed you, is 100% sure his equipment will deliver the comfort you seek and backs it up with a detailed load cal. And proposal then I would choose that company.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    Sounds like you have find a good contractor that has done all the work to ensure the system will be sized proper for your home.

If he impressed you with his knowledge of the system, ductwork and is sure the new systems that he quoted will provide you with the comfort you want. Then i would suggest sign the contract but make sure that it is a detailed estimate explaining what all he and his company will do for $$$$.

If you do seek out other estimates make sure the other contractors do all the work to determine the proper size system for your home!

Any contractor can cut his price to get the work but did he truly earn your business? If he goes off what the contractor you were impressed with load cal. Then the other companies can easily cut the price as they didn't spend time doing all there homework. So they can cut his price down because they used his info. To do so!

Again if he impressed you, is 100% sure his equipment will deliver the comfort you seek and backs it up with a detailed load cal. And proposal then I would choose that company.

Thanks for the information. I have pretty much decided not to even check other contractors. I have a few reasons, the main one being I am sold on the Trane units and always have been. I am sure that the other manufacturers make great equipment or else they wouldn't be in business.

I also realize I could possibly save money by shopping around - even with a different Trane contractor, but I did my homework on this contractor and have been impressed with all aspects of their business model. Yes, times are tough, and I don't have extra money to throw around, but I am going to go with my gut feelings on this.

Thanks again!

Post Likes
    Agreed. Was not talking about price though. Was talking about the calc. I'm Confident he has the rite guy but never hurts to get more then one. Just to be sure.

Post Likes
    40,000 will get it done unless you live really far north. I've NEVER seen an undersized gas furnace, I don't think anybody on this website has either. Manual J will oversize on the heat side just about every time. Most installed gas furnaces are 2-3x the needed capacity. I've seen some companies around here doing it RIGHT and installing 45,000BTU furnaces in 2,200 sqft homes. The contractor is just a bit scared of the result of it not being enough vs. the result of oversizing.

Post Likes
    Yea bring in the next dude and share all the info that other guy gave you for free and he will give you x amount of savings, way of the world, nice guy finishes last. He should have closed the sale.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    The XV95 doesn't come in a 40k BTU model. The XT95 does, but its' single stage, so you might as well go 60k BTU 2 stage, since low stage will be very slightly lower at 37k BTU output compared to 38k... and better utilize setbacks. There's the XC95m... but it's going to be a LOT more expensive. Only worth it in a northern climate or a luxury home.

Going form a 3 ton 9 SEER to a 2 ton 15 SEER, should cut you cooling costs in half.... or more. You're static pressure will drop, airflow/CFM will likely increase, and longer run times will net you about another 20-25% on top of the SEER rating, and humidty should be controlled a little better... and it should be quieter indoors and outdoors too.

I would ask the contractor if he can install a thermostat that control to humidty and can wire up the dehumidify on demand feature of the blwoer control on the furnace. It's better than "Comfort-R" mode.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Yea bring in the next dude and share all the info that other guy gave you for free and he will give you x amount of savings, way of the world, nice guy finishes last. He should have closed the sale.
    Don't give the second or third guy any info. Let them calc and see if they jive. What if the first guy is the second guy you discribed but puts on a good show? Why would you assume the fist guy is load calc Jesus and and every one else is the devil?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Don't give the second or third guy any info. Let them calc and see if they jive. What if the first guy is the second guy you discribed but puts on a good show? Why would you assume the fist guy is load calc Jesus and and every one else is the devil?
    I have been thinking it over and I think, just for peace of mind, that I will go ahead and have another contractor come out and give my system a look and see what he has to say. So Monday I am going to have an American Standard contractor give me a bid.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in