Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Trane XE 80

I changed limit switch with factory replacement 250 Degree unit. Within a few days I had another trip...

Checked the flue - no blockage

Could not find specifications for XE80 unit (tonage/cfm) to check against existing duct work sizing. I got the math skills...just don't got the data.

Ditto for normal gas consuptions rates to clock the meter.

A source for this data would be helpful.

Thanks.

Sorry John, this is not a DIY site.

So we aren't allowed to tell you how to check out what is causing the limit to trip.

You really need a trained service tech to check your furnace, before it gets worse.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Help with high limit switch

My high limit switch hit the limit. I had to reset it. I took it out and flicked it a few times and it works now.

My problem is that there seems to be a capacitor on one wire and I am not sure which side of the high limit switch it goes on? I think I may have them backwards? Or can it be backwards?

Thanks,

James

Quote Originally Posted by jamesimcb View Post
    My high limit switch hit the limit. I had to reset it. I took it out and flicked it a few times and it works now.

My problem is that there seems to be a capacitor on one wire and I am not sure which side of the high limit switch it goes on? I think I may have them backwards? Or can it be backwards?

Thanks,

James
    Hmm...you resurrected an old thread, only to have to be told what beenthere said over a year ago:

"Sorry John, this is not a DIY site.

So we aren't allowed to tell you how to check out what is causing the limit to trip.

You really need a trained service tech to check your furnace, before it gets worse."

High limit switch

I am not asking anyone to diagnose my furnace or why it hit the high limit switch.

A qualified technician visited my house and explained as well as fixed the problem. I know what caused the problem.

All I did was tap the high limit to get it to work again but I made the mistake of taking off the wires.

My issue is that there are two wires on the high limit switch. I took it off and was putting it back on and noticed that there is a capacitor on one wire and none on the other wire. I assume it makes no difference which side the capacitor goes on with the high limit switch but wanted to confirm.

Is this furnace working right now? The answer is yes. Have I caused a safety hazard? Highly unlikely as this is a circut that is either open or closed. As long as it is closed, the furnace runs which it is running.

All I asked was that it makes no difference which side the leads go on a two wire high limit switch. I think I know the answer but wanted to confirm.

Thanks,

James

Talking

Try reading the wiring diagram

A qualified technician visited my house and explained as well as fixed the problem. I know what caused the problem.

All I did was tap the high limit to get it to work again but I made the mistake of taking off the wires.

Then why did you have to tap the limit if he fixed the problem.(dirty air filter)
    He should have taken care of the high limit while he was there.

And answering where and weather it matters where the wires go would have still violated forum rules.
    Contractor locator map

Thanks for the help

Its no problem...I will figure it out myself...

To answer everyones question as to why I am asking the question and why it hit the high limit, here is the answer.

I have a bed that sits close to a register. The register just so happens to be tapped off of the main 'stack' or plenum if that's what you call it. Periodically a pillow falls off my bed in the night and lands on the register...the thermostat is set to drop temperature at night by 3 degrees...at wake up the furnace needs to catch up...while trying to reach the temperature with a duct covered by a pillow, it sometimes causes the furance to overheat.

The TECH that came before showed me how to reset the furnace by taking out the high limit and tapping it... should it happen again...which is what I did.

As it hit and did not reset...it is very possible that it may need to be replaced but this is a quick fix for now.

YAWN...tired of making you guys feel good about withholding info...THX FOR?????

Better be the main return register. If its not, you have more then a pillow falling problem.
    Covering 1 room return or supply won't cause a furnace to trip the high limit usless there are other problems.
    If the "tech"? showed you to tap the limit. Well, he isn't sure what's causing it. And doesn't know how to check what other problems you have.

As long as your happy.
    Contractor locator map

FYI, that little thing on one of the wires to the limit switch isn't a capacitor, it is a fuse link.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Thank you Mark

I appreciate that someone on this site is willing to share information that does not need to be kept a secret.

I am not actually trying to DIY. I had a simple question and was only looking for a simple answer and now I have it. Thank you thank you thank you Mark.

As for the advice regarding the pillow...of course there is always more to the story. You are absolutlely correct, there are definitely other problems. It is a 1920's house most likely with insufficient return air further compounding the problem. It also does not help that the former owner shortened one of the return airs and then tried to compensate by adding an additional make shift return air. There are definitely flaws in the system which may be complicating matters.

That being said the problem consistently happens with the pillow...I am going to have the tech come back and put a new high limit switch and do some further testing however I live in Canada. It is cold here...The part was unavailable the last time the tech came and he put in an order I just haven't called back yet to have him install a new one...he suggested to try it out and that he would replace it if the problem persists.

I was in a desperate situation with no heat and required a quick fix. Could I have a faulty limit switch? sure...but there are likely other problems too.

Thankfully someone on this site was nice enough to help out.

The furnace is likely on its last legs...it is a mid efficiency and is over 15 years old...but who knows...that's up to a professional to decide.

BTW...i'll let the techs from Enbridge Gas know that they probably don't know what they are doing..and here I thought certified technicians from one of the largest gas companies in the world would be knowledgeable. After all they charge $100 per call plus $100 per hour I certainly hope that they know what they are doing...guess I better look for someone else.

Thanks again for the help, and please don't kick Mark off for sharing.

J

Quote Originally Posted by jamesimcb View Post
    After all they charge $xxx per call plus $xxx per hour I certainly hope that they know what they are doing...guess I better look for someone else.

Thanks again for the help, and please don't kick Mark off for sharing.

J
    A. Thats not that much for service calls
    B. Just because they are the largest, doesn't mean every tech they have is highly trained.
    Contractor locator map

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345