need help with replacing my furnace please!!!!!!!!!
    Hello. I really need some help. I have a 1970'd model Rheem gas furnace. I need to replace it, and have a possible furnace, but am not sure. None of the dealers can find my model number. It's RGMA-100C. My house was built in the 50s, on a slab. The heating/cooling vents are on the floor. I have central air also. I am very low on funds, and a friend gave me a furnace they couldn't use. I may have a guy to put it in, but i need to see if it works first. Here's my question. How do I know if my current furnace is a downdraft or updraft model? Can anyone find this model number? My friend says the new furnace isn't set up to use with central air, and that it's an updraft furnace. I need to know if my current furnace is in fact an updraft furnace, can I still use this furnace she is giving me if it doesn't support central air? I mean, I know obviously my air won't work, but can it still be hooked up. Please help, my furnace is busted, I live in Ohio, and it's starting to get cooollldd.

really needs to be looked at by a pro. sounds like a downflow furnace you have now. if blower is in the top of furnace it is a downflow.

I've had a few people tell me it sounds like a downdraft system, so that means I probably can't put an updraft furnace in right? What about the central air thing? If I find a downdraft furnace that is just for heat only, will it still, fit?

Originally posted by kellyc43232
    What about the central air thing? If I find a downdraft furnace that is just for heat only, will it still, fit?

might need some new controls added, any newer furnace worth putting in should be set up for a/c.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by t527ed
    What about the central air thing? If I find a downdraft furnace that is just for heat only, will it still, fit?

might need some new controls added, any newer furnace worth putting in should be set up for a/c.
    Yes it should,but an older duct system ,may have been for heat only,and too small for cooling.You need a Pro to look at at it all.Manual J ,to size the system exactly for your home,Manual S to select the equipment per your indoor design temperatutre,and Manual D to design new duct,modify existing ducts,or verify they are large ehough.

Furnaces and A/C are are not "plug and play" items,each system and the ducts must be sized correctly,for your comfort,it's economical operation,and longevity of teh equipment.Can't stress the importance enough.

All the Manuals are from http://www.acca.org

do you live close to east liverpool ohio???

Yes, RGMA is a downflow.

Originally posted by dash
    Originally posted by t527ed

Yes it should,but an older duct system ,may have been for heat only,and too small for cooling.You need a Pro to look at at it all.Manual J ,to size the system exactly for your home,Manual S to select the equipment per your indoor design temperatutre,and Manual D to design new duct,modify existing ducts,or verify they are large ehough.

Furnaces and A/C are are not "plug and play" items,each system and the ducts must be sized correctly,for your comfort,it's economical operation,and longevity of teh equipment.Can't stress the importance enough.

All the Manuals are from http://www.acca.org

good luck on that with a 1950's slab house with ducts in the floor. most of them around here are run what ya got and hope for the best. funny thing is most of them work suprisingly well.