Louvered Cabinet

How important is a louvered AC cabinet? I ask because I am trying to decide between a Trane that is louvered and a Bryant that isn't. I know this is a trivial matter, but I always like opinions.
    Last edited by Zomby; 10-10-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Spelling

The louvers are mostly there to protect against hail, so it depends on wether you want that insurance or not. The louvers can cause the unit to get dirty easier, and often makes the unit harder and more time consuming to clean properly.

The louvered cabinet by far is better. It protects the coil from anything. If the cost is close, that should be the deciding factor. JMO
    You're only as good as your customer will allow you to be.........If they want junk, sell them junk, but make your junk look neat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    The louvers are mostly there to protect against hail, so it depends on wether you want that insurance or not. The louvers can cause the unit to get dirty easier, and often makes the unit harder and more time consuming to clean properly.
    We get several hail storms a year and my old unit is really beat up.

Quote Originally Posted by superd77 View Post
    The louvered cabinet by far is better. It protects the coil from anything. If the cost is close, that should be the deciding factor. JMO
    Well, the cost difference is huge!

There may be more to it than that. A Bryant without a cabinet is a builder model. So it will be lower than better built units. What Trane are you comparing it to?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    There may be more to it than that. A Bryant without a cabinet is a builder model. So it will be lower than better built units. What Trane are you comparing it to?
    XR15

For a fair comparison to the XR15, look at the Bryant Preferred line. Then you'll be closer in price and features.