Just had a carrier infinity furnace 58CVA 2 stage variable speed furnace installed. It works great and the install was fantastic, but I find that when the furnace is not on because the temperature is at or above the temperature set on the infinty control, that I get a small amount of cool air blowing thru the registers. The fan is set to auto so when the furnace comes on, that is the only time the fan should come on. Just wondering if there was some type of setting that needs to be changed or if this is part of the normal operation of the system.

Call the guy that put it in,that should not be happening if it did not happen with old heater.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Sounds correct to me. The blower is supposed to run continiously to eliminate stratofication. It should be hardly noticeable. Thats what variable speed is all about. That motor uses less energy than a 60 watt bulb. It should ramp up and ramp down keeping a more even temperature in your home and modulate between low and high heat.

They should have gone over it with you and explained the sequence of operation. You have a nice furnace there, make sure you keep up the preventitive maintanance as you would on your auto.

[Edited by coolwhip on 10-16-2006 at 06:49 PM]
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Just because a furnace is variable speed does NOT mean the motor should run all the time. It could be convection thru the vents and it could be the motor running. Either way, call the installer and have it checked. It could be anything from a panel off to a configuration set wrong.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Originally posted by coolwhip
    Sounds correct to me. The blower is supposed to run continiously to eliminate stratofication. It should be hardly noticeable. Thats what variable speed is all about. That motor uses less energy than a 60 watt bulb. It should ramp up and ramp down keeping a more even temperature in your home and modulate between low and high heat.

They should have gone over it with you and explained the sequence of operation. You have a nice furnace there, make sure you keep up the preventitive maintanance as you would on your auto.

[Edited by coolwhip on 10-16-2006 at 06:49 PM]
    Trane calls this the comfort R feature....it can be enabled/disabled by a dip switch,now,i am not sure what Carrier calls this feature?,but it is the same principal!!!!

Yep, 3T's is correct. There are a whole bunch of dip switches too meet your comfort needs. Wouldnt hurt for a double check on em.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

carrier infinity furnace

Thanks for the compliment on the furnace coolwhip (I was told this is a really good option for a furnace - 2 stage variable speed, hope it was worth the extra $$$), forgot to mention that the infinity control is set on the automatic humidity control level, have a central humidifier connected to it. Could this be the normal operation for the furnace with the himidifier connected to it.

Well if the control is set to "auto" the fan should not be running. and with the infinity system you don't need to set dip switches. well sounds to me that you just answered your own question. the infinity control will bring on the fan and humidifier if it is set to "humidify with fan" and it does not matter if it is set to humidifier auto or manual. hope this helps

[Edited by jerrod on 10-16-2006 at 08:37 PM]

Carrier infinity

melzee
    I have Carrier Infinity here also, if the fan setting is on Auto, the fan should not run, but if the comfort level is set
    then the system comes on 90 minutes before setback is set to, and it start the furnace heat or cool earlier ot build to the coming set temp, i ahd that when i got mine, and i woke up midle of night like 5:30 am [strating was se to come on 7;00am] and the furnace was running, os ia ask questions how coem ,and they said it bring up the temp 1 degre below is set and shut s down ,and the compurt brain calcualtes the outside temp ,with inside and start ups few timmes til the setback is kiks on ,so the furnace dont have ot kikon to high heat [2 stage] wehn start time is arrived ,but the temp in room will be already reached, ahich is verry nice, to wake up to warm room ,right? Yes the installer should explain this adnd ot me they also did not expalin ,and i was pised too, i paid them so much for instlala and equpimnet , and they just show in my hand the manual books' ,and i shal read it, but is nopt so, since even we read it ,right away ,but is not make sense right away what is this that etc.
    is not right form these looser instalers ,they send to us , the nwe just wait for them 2-4 hours for service calls [i had first 3 months 23 time coming here them jerks ,and half of them were not know what they see here ,since they working on Bryant Evolution mwhich is almost same ,but even that tehy now litle about ,and only vert few guys i nthis compnay knows, but i have 10yrs waranty ofr everything labor material parts, and i dont worry they 70 yrs in bussines ,if not i find someone else ,anyomen could fillwaranty w/ Carrier who of course is a dealer or certified by them,after 1st yr i odnt have to hang on to origina linstaler.
    hope this help melzee.

I also have an Infinity system and when coming out of setback from 19C to 20C in the morning, the furnace often is running on high stage after the setpoint time. Its like it can't heat up the room in that 1.5 hour smart recovery time. The control is in our great room with vaulted ceilings so I think that room takes a long time to heat up.

Originally posted by jerrod
    Well if the control is set to "auto" the fan should not be running. and with the infinity system you don't need to set dip switches. well sounds to me that you just answered your own question. the infinity control will bring on the fan and humidifier if it is set to "humidify with fan" and it does not matter if it is set to humidifier auto or manual. hope this helps

[Edited by jerrod on 10-16-2006 at 08:37 PM]
    This us where you need to look.

You shouldn't feel cool air at the vents in an off cycle.

You are either humidifying with fan or you have some serious duct leakage.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Carrier infinity

seadragon
    In my furnace -control i turn of the high heat -2nd stage,yo ucould do that in the control in furnace setting area,iam in chicago, so i dont need high heat ,it used ot ramp up afternoon when 3-4pm came back from daytime setting, adn d it drove me crazy, suddenly was verry hot ,noisy litle since it ran highest speed 1400rpm, and the gas was expensive last fall-winter, so im leaving it off this tiem too, naturally if it wil be outside below 10F il turn it on for few days...
    Best thing is to experiment with this system ,and do run the low fan when in house morning, and evening hours, it circulates the air nicely, and furnace wont kik on os often, since it redistributes the warm air from small room were it is traped, and it goes ot where is the control -tstat.alright? maybe in higher cieling room you may wan to run cieling fan or medium speed the fan. ihave every room cieling fan s running also, this way the warm air is pushed down ot floor where person walks, makes sense?