Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Single stage stat on a two staage furnace, can I do that ?

I have a Honeywell Pro TH4110D single stage stat, running a Goodman two stage 80% furnace. Goodman said this is the acceptable way to connect it up /run it, any thoughts on doing this ?

Seems like my old set up with analog stat and single stage furnace worked better / kept house warmer (at same temp setting)

Quote Originally Posted by shankle View Post
    I have a Honeywell Pro TH4110D single stage stat, running a Goodman two stage 80% furnace. Goodman said this is the acceptable way to connect it up /run it, any thoughts on doing this ?

Seems like my old set up with analog stat and single stage furnace worked better / kept house warmer (at same temp setting)
    The proper stat with that furnace, to make the home more comfortable, would be a 2-stage stat.

P. S.
    It could be that they put in too big of a furnace. That happens alot. Then it doesn't work as it should.

You could do that but to get the full potential out of the system you need a 2 stage heat tstat

Ecobee baby! Dial right in when that sucker stages.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

The furnace (Goodman) states right on the inside cover "this furnace is designed to be used with a single stage stat" despite furnace being two stage (as in the control for the stages resides on the furnace internal board not the stat).
    Should I still be using a two stage stat anyway? Not sure it's even wired up for that.
    thanks for all !!

Seems our house is always COLD, we're constantly waiting for the stat to click on, takes forever to cycle (I've tried different cph settings, that did nothing)

The furnace (Goodman) states right on the inside cover "this furnace is designed to be used with a single stage stat" despite furnace being two stage (as in the control for the stages resides on the furnace internal board not the stat).
    Should I still be using a two stage stat anyway? Not sure it's even wired up for that.
    thanks for all !!

Seems our house is always COLD, we're constantly waiting for the stat to click on, takes forever to cycle (I've tried different cph settings, that did nothing)
    It will work with a single stage stat. It will (then) work based on the timer. That's not the issue. To give you the comfort, you should have a 2 stage stat.

Also, I've seen where a system is short on return air, the new furnace will bump the limit.
    This (shortage) did not effect the older style furnaces as much.

Do I have to rewire it to get/use a two stage stat ?

what does this mean --->
    Also, I've seen where a system is short on return air, the new furnace will bump the limit.

for whatever its worth, the original furnace and old type stat heated/maintained temperature in my house much more evenly

thanks so much !

If it is a GMH, you can't use a 2 stage stat

The Goodman model is GMH80904BNA, is there a better stat I could be using with it instead of the current Honeywell Pro TH4110D

thanks

Do I have to rewire it to get/use a two stage stat ?

what does this mean --->

for whatever its worth, the original furnace and old type stat heated/maintained temperature in my house much more evenly

thanks so much !
    If the ductwork (supply or return) and/or the registers/grilles (supply or return) are not adequate, then the heat exchanger will get too hot and turn off the burners.

The blower continues (to blow) so the homeowner doesn't even know the "heat" is off. This normally only happens when it's really cold outside unless the ductwork really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    If it is a GMH, you can't use a 2 stage stat
    The fact Goodman makes a 2 stage furnace w/o the capability to be optimized with a 2 stage stage leaves a bad taste in my mouth about Goodman...

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    If the ductwork (supply or return) and/or the registers/grilles (supply or return) are not adequate, then the heat exchanger will get too hot and turn off the burners.

The blower continues (to blow) so the homeowner doesn't even know the "heat" is off. This normally only happens when it's really cold outside unless the ductwork really sucks.
    It can also happen during recovery from setback.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast