+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recommendations from all of you TRANE centrifugal Guru's

Post Likes

Recommendations from all of you TRANE centrifugal Guru's

TearDown Recommendation Questions !! CVHF (1200 tonner)

I have seen in some books where it states that you should do a teardown inspection every 30,000 hours

If Im correct with my math then we are looking at exactly 3.43 years assuming that the thing never stops running due to the application of the chiller.

Some state 5-10 years and this needs done. I would assume on a standard HVAC application.

If this is correct. Just how in depth do they recommend going for the teardown. Complete ? Just visual and tolerance checks? Plus new gaskets and seals during reinstallation ?
    Im assuming a full removal of components, new oil, ....... the whole 9 yards !!

Would there be any bearings / particular items that you would change reguardless. Any reason to balance the impeller ?

I would obviously do an EDDY at that time.
    Just trying to see what everyone out there in TRANEVILLE have to say.

Post Likes
    I thought "book says 40k hours"
    Me personally would do vibration analysis yearly, by reputable tech.

Eddy Current every 5 yrs

Post Likes
    There's NO reason to do an exploratory teardown on one of these chillers based on running hours alone. Do annual oil analysis and vibration analysis. Keep an eye on the purge pumpout minutes. If these things are ok, and there are no vibrations, noises, or motor faults like an open rotor or a bent shaft, then it's probably good! Oil analysis is necessary for the front bearing, impellers, and seals. Vibration analysis (or at the very least, a screwdriver and finely tuned ear) is required to determine the condition of the back bearing. I've got chillers I take care of that have 75k-100k hours on the original bearings, seals, gaskets, and o-rings. They're leak free, and the oil/vibe always comes back good!
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    And thats what I was sure was going to be one answer. I did find some literature that Trane says to do the 30,000/5-10year recommendations.

Customer brought it up. Not sure why. Maybe since they have had issues in the past and are being cautious.

Either way I am curious what everyone who works on these have to say.

Thanks !!

Post Likes
    As with all equipment the answer is it depends. With proper maintainence and a little tlc I have seen the smaller ones (025,032) go over 80,000 hrs with only a few econo gasket changes. If the chiller runs loaded 24/7 it will run longer. Yearly vibration analysis, oil analysis, and keeping purge minutes low are important. Not many customers want to spend the money on a teardown if there are no problems. After 5- 10 yrs gaskets and O rings tend to dry out and crack with leaks showing up in the jacking bolt holes. Except for oil seals, nose and interstage seals seldom need to be replaced unless there is a lot of surging going on. Outboard bearing issues seem to be more of a problem on the larger compressors. Sometimes teardown inspections at a certain number of hours do get written into contracts but I believe a machine will tell you when it needs service.

Post Likes
    as stated before, vibration analysis, oil analysis and watch the purge minutes. if they say good, keep it running. before the previous tests were readily available, 40-50k hours was the number. today, we have better methods.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    megger readings dropping can lead to one along with the acid tests..and all is shown on the starter contacts over a season ....definitly an oil delivery problem into the bearings
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopstir View Post
    TearDown Recommendation Questions !! CVHF (1200 tonner)

I have seen in some books where it states that you should do a teardown inspection every 30,000 hours
    When I was at Trane it was 50,000 hours or 10 years, but as others said, if it doesn't leak, oil and vibe reports come back good keep on truckin. Once you hit ten years or 50,000 hours probably wouldn't hurt to have them throw it in the budget, just in case.

If Im correct with my math then we are looking at exactly 3.43 years assuming that the thing never stops running due to the application of the chiller.

Some state 5-10 years and this needs done. I would assume on a standard HVAC application.

If this is correct. Just how in depth do they recommend going for the teardown. Complete ? Just visual and tolerance checks? Plus new gaskets and seals during reinstallation ? If your goin in, go all the way. All bearings, EVERY O-ring/gasket, new oil and filter, rebuild the oil reg., new oil pump head. Some Contractors are known for not pulling motor to change the volute to motor o-ring so they can be low bid. Dont be that contractor. Guess where it starts to leak.
    Im assuming a full removal of components, new oil, ....... the whole 9 yards !!

Would there be any bearings / particular items that you would change reguardless. Any reason to balance the impeller ? Definitley change all bearings. If you change any rotating component, yes you should check balance. If no rotating components were changed, the Tech is a perfectionist and all pieces go back exactly the way they came off, and it was running smooth when you took it apart, you should be ok without a balance check.

I would obviously do an EDDY at that time.
    Just trying to see what everyone out there in TRANEVILLE have to say.

“If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.” ~Henry J. Kaiser

"Highly efficient equipment and LEED Bldgs are very expensive to maintain in order to keep that efficiency!" ~ Me

Post Likes
    Agree with all the posts, Trane used to recommend 10 year overhauls. That's gone by the wayside, but there are customers who will spend the money to overhaul machines (problems or not) because that's what they think is proper. Now do they have to? No. But if it gives them piece of mind. It keeps me working.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in